Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

50-135 2.8 not focusing!

I just bought a used Pentax 50-135 2.8 lens from another photographer....I love this lens! But today during a photoshoot outside, it was not focusing. I had to switch lenses! Why would it so this? Is there a setting in my k-7 that I should set it too? I was so ticked off...ugh! I was not to close to my subject & when I would switch it to manual focus, it still wouldn't focus! Please HELP!!

Thank you!

11-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear your trouble. The K-7 should handl fine the 50-135mm f2.8.

Could it be linked with a SDM failure ? It is weird that you are unable to focus manually the lens (you could even if it was a SDM failure).

Could it be an issue with a Quickshift failure?

Last edited by hcc; 11-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.
11-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sounds like SDM failure. How long ago to you buy the lens?
11-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

SDM failure should not effect manual focus, should it? Is the lens stuck? Does it not move at all? It sounds to me more like a disconnect between the lens mechanism and the focus mechanism. Was it that way when you bought it, or did the fault just suddenly develop? If the former, return it to the seller. If the latter, it looks like you are up for a repair bill. Sorry to hear it, this is a fabulous lens when it behaves itself.

This thread may help a little. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/145340-...d-locally.html

11-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same lens, and the SDM has given up the ghost, for the third time. It will still manually focus just fine. With the switches in AF.S it will use Catch-in-Focus on my K10. It's far from a happy scene for me, but the lens is so optically superb that I am keeping it anyway.
11-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I think that should be read that the camera does not autofocus whether the switch is set to manual or auto, rather than the lens does not manually focus.
= SDM failure.
11-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
I was playing with it last night & it seemed to be fine! I am going to see wht happens when I go outside & take a few pics. I only had it for a week! I love this lens...I was so excited when I got it!
If it is SDM failure, why would this happen? How much would it cost to fix?
Thanks for your replies!
11-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

sometimes the lens just need a light twist to firm its position on the body. i clean dirt on my lens and it never happen again.

11-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Debra Heschl Quote
I was playing with it last night & it seemed to be fine! I am going to see wht happens when I go outside & take a few pics. I only had it for a week! I love this lens...I was so excited when I got it!
Thanks for your replies!
I have had AF "failure" when the MF/AF switch on the lens was not fully in the AF position, and it went back to work after moving the switches back and forth and dismounting and remounting the lens on the camera. Unfortunately all of those workings and manually turning the focus ring back and forth for 15 minutes twice did nothing. It is still manual focus.
11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

My 50-135 has the same problem. It is slow to get working but will usually catch up to me and work fine for awhile. Its hit or miss when it will. I recall another forum on here about that very same subject and I am looking for it again. The most likely cause is an SDM failure and in my case it is happening just after warranty is over (Suprise Suprise) so I guess I will find out soon enough how much it will cost to repair.
11-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your replies!
I feel your lens is ok.You may have been too close to your subject.
11-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I always bring a few MF primes and extra body as bckup when doing a session for others, either paid or not. Feel not to trust the da50-135 too much.
11-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just bought a used Pentax 50-135 2.8 lens from another photographer....I love this lens! But today during a photoshoot outside, it was not focusing. I had to switch lenses! Why would it so this? Is there a setting in my k-7 that I should set it too? I was so ticked off...ugh! I was not to close to my subject & when I would switch it to manual focus, it still wouldn't focus! Please HELP!!

Thank you!
Does it completely dead? OR does it focus but unable to nail it? Just wondering because you said you are unable to focus manually too.
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a 50-135. If the SDM goes on it, I'll be beating the SDM designer over the head with the lens.