Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Back to the 70-200mm........

Hi, all.......

Question......if the Sigma70-200mm f/2.8 if not available for a Kmount Pentax.....(I have a K100D).....Is there an adapter one would be able to purchase to mount the lens on their Pentax? If so, what do you lose.....ie. autofocus, zoom???? and if not, what lens would you recommend that would be comparable? I need a good, fast lens for flight shots, moving wildlife, dragonflies.....

Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meyjo

12-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by meyjo Quote
Hi, all.......

Question......if the Sigma70-200mm f/2.8 if not available for a Kmount Pentax.....(I have a K100D).....Is there an adapter one would be able to purchase to mount the lens on their Pentax? If so, what do you lose.....ie. autofocus, zoom???? and if not, what lens would you recommend that would be comparable? I need a good, fast lens for flight shots, moving wildlife, dragonflies.....

Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meyjo
For all of those shots, I use my 400/5.6. I have not gone after flight shots with it on the k10d yet, so I might notice that the change in field of view makes things more difficult.

I have taken dragonfly shots with the 400 + 50mm extension tube, but they are not great. I'm happy that I have them, though. The 400's maximum field of view with the 50mm tube is about 5" x 7" on film, so the dragonflie shots need to be cropped quite a bit.

I would not find 200mm adequate for shots of aircraft or birds in flight. Even the 400 is pushing things. For the dragonflies, a 200 macro would be ideal - but the Pentax one was too good - nobody wants to get rid of theirs. I have not seen one available for a long, long time.

I will have to try out my 100 macro + 1.4X on the k10d when the insects unfreeze next spring. It might be a workable solution.