Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
the 77 is very sharp but has a relatively slow AF .... but it was the PF that killed it for me, admittedly high contrast settings but every shot showed visible PF. I'll look forward to seeing a comparison between the Sigma 85 and Zeiss 85/1.4 .... since the Sigma seems able to top both the Canon L glass and equal Nikon's best it must be the forerunner. Now which should I buy, the VL 125 APO Lanthar or the Sigma 85 ..... hmmm.
That is a well known issue with the FA77, but in real use it is probably less bothersome. On the other hand, the Cosina built lenses have very good performance with respect to CA. From what I've seen with the Sigma, it's an excellent lens as well - the only complaints about it were in the area of AF; optically it seems to be very sharp wide open - I am really curious how it fares against the Samyang as that also has a good reputation wide open.

11-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I walked in to buy the 77 Ltd yesterday ..... and walked out again without buying it after seeing this (this is a heavy crop, ...
I'd give the lens another chance, if I were you. The fringing you saw
  • depends on the focus, and
  • usually is not a problem in practice.
My appreciation for Sigma lenses goes a long way, but the FA 77/1.8 is quite something. I'd consider it as a speciality lens even if it were unusable in most general shooting situations (which couldn't be further from the truth, AFAIC).

P.S.: Regarding the OP, I'd get the Sigma 30/1.4, Pentax 43/1.9 and Sigma 85/1.4. All of these are great; the Pentax 70/2.4 is a fine lens, but too slow for me and doesn't have quite the bokeh magic of the FA 77/1.8. It may be the perfect choice for people who emphasise size, but optically it is not the non-plus ultra, AFAIC.
11-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #33
Site Supporter

The 31 Ltd is small ?
Problems? What what you call a small lens and what would make a large lens for you given the specs of the 31 mm.
11-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That is a well known issue with the FA77, but in real use it is probably less bothersome. On the other hand, the Cosina built lenses have very good performance with respect to CA. From what I've seen with the Sigma, it's an excellent lens as well - the only complaints about it were in the area of AF; optically it seems to be very sharp wide open - I am really curious how it fares against the Samyang as that also has a good reputation wide open.
The 77 mm will be the first to go from my lens bag as soon as there is another reasonable option available. So far it performs well, pixel peeping does not help much.
The SDM 55 did not convince me, the 70DA is too slow, the FA85 is old and too long. I did have enought Sigma lenses in my life to not like them.

11-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd give the lens another chance, if I were you. The fringing you saw
  • depends on the focus, and
  • usually is not a problem in practice.
My appreciation for Sigma lenses goes a long way, but the FA 77/1.8 is quite something. I'd consider it as a speciality lens even if it were unusable in most general shooting situations (which couldn't be further from the truth, AFAIC).

P.S.: Regarding the OP, I'd get the Sigma 30/1.4, Pentax 43/1.9 and Sigma 85/1.4. All of these are great; the Pentax 70/2.4 is a fine lens, but too slow for me and doesn't have quite the bokeh magic of the FA 77/1.8. It may be the perfect choice for people who emphasise size, but optically it is not the non-plus ultra, AFAIC.
I may revisit it in time, once the shock of that first testing wears off !

There are so many great lenses around this FL and price - US$860 (especially if you stretch it out from say 60mm-100mm) that the only reason at the moment I'd choose the 77 over them is AF (in some cases) and size. I have the Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and it is a gorgeous lens (US$700), all metal and beautifully made with a delightfully smooth focusing ring, however it is very heavy. The incredibly sharp and bokeh master Voigtlander 90 SLII (new for US$560) keeps calling my name (or the VL 75), the Leica 60 R macro is superb and amazing value for money (US$685), then there is also the VL APO Lanther 125mm/2.5 (US$1,100) which, whilst appreciably longer, fulfils two roles, one as reputedly the best normal macro lens ever made (that or the Leica 100/2 perhaps ?) and two as a superb portrait lens. And all that without considering this wonderful new addition from Sigma 85/1.4 - incredible reports and AF for US$900.

If the OP is willing to consider MF too then there are really an embarrassment of riches around this FL. Decisions decisions
11-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may revisit it in time, once the shock of that first testing wears off !

There are so many great lenses around this FL and price - US$860 (especially if you stretch it out from say 60mm-100mm) that the only reason at the moment I'd choose the 77 over them is AF (in some cases) and size. I have the Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and it is a gorgeous lens (US$700), all metal and beautifully made with a delightfully smooth focusing ring, however it is very heavy. The incredibly sharp and bokeh master Voigtlander 90 SLII (new for US$560) keeps calling my name (or the VL 75), the Leica 60 R macro is superb and amazing value for money (US$685), then there is also the VL APO Lanther 125mm/2.5 (US$1,100) which, whilst appreciably longer, fulfils two roles, one as reputedly the best normal macro lens ever made (that or the Leica 100/2 perhaps ?) and two as a superb portrait lens. And all that without considering this wonderful new addition from Sigma 85/1.4 - incredible reports and AF for US$900.

If the OP is willing to consider MF too then there are really an embarrassment of riches around this FL. Decisions decisions
Indeed there's plenty choices for focal lenght in region of 85mm...I used to have Contax Sonnar 85mm, great lens, not best at bokeh but everuthing else was just about perfect...but my skill with manually focusing short telephoto was filling my recycle bin with loads of misfocused raws. So I opted for FA77, nice lens but not as stellar as i expected after raving reviews...but then again, maybe i just have a wrong sample of fa77. I don't know, I'm now happy with DA70, great little lens....of course i sometimes miss the faster apertures or better bokeh, but i can hardly fault the lens - those things are likely sacrifices to make a very compact lens. It's just that Sigma 85 threads made me hooked. Trying to resist with the help of DA70, though
11-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Problems? What what you call a small lens and what would make a large lens for you given the specs of the 31 mm.
I actually find lenses of similar size as FA31 to be perfect match for bodies like K10/K20d and very well balanced on smaller K7/K5. Used to have K18/3.5, K20/4, FA31, K105/2.8 - all those are very similar in size - neither big, nor small on camera.Even their filter thread of 58mm (52mm) is reasonably low. But I really like having FA43 and DA70 mounted on K5, if only there was MXd
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I dont know what you were reading but I read the OP was asking between the
Sig30+85 or 43+70.
I was offering some alternatives

11-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

My biggest problems with Sigma lenses is the way the rings turn. Focus, aperture and zoom (on the ones I have seen, anyway) turn exactly opposite to Pentax and Nikon - Sigma seems to aim at Canon owners - perhaps because of the price of decent Canon lenses. I have seen enough superb images with the best Sigmas, so if the ring turn direction does not bother you, go for it.
11-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My biggest problems with Sigma lenses is the way the rings turn. Focus, aperture and zoom (on the ones I have seen, anyway) turn exactly opposite to Pentax and Nikon - Sigma seems to aim at Canon owners - perhaps because of the price of decent Canon lenses. I have seen enough superb images with the best Sigmas, so if the ring turn direction does not bother you, go for it.
Sigma is odd and definitely not consistent. Some lenses go the same direction as Pentax lenses and others go the opposite direction.
11-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #41
Pentaxian

on APSC, I will pick sigma30 +sigma85
or other options

no budget limit: FA31, FA*85

poor man choice (me): FA35, Samyang85

Last edited by MegaPower; 11-21-2011 at 09:40 PM.
11-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
on APSC, I will pick sigma30 +sigma85
or other options

no budget limit: FA31, FA*85

poor man choice (me): FA35, Samyang85
That's a good list. However personally with no budget limit (within reason) for me it'd be : Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 (landscapes) and the Sigma 30/1.4 (low light, creativity and portraits) plus the Sigma 85/1.4 (equal performance with the FA85 ..... but comes with a 2 year guarantee) !