Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Using mirrorless in place of Teleconverter

Now that I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 400mm 4.0, I have started to search out viable TCs to use with it. Most treads seem to indicate little to no advantage to TCs and most likely IQ loss to boot.

Then I thought about the multiplier factor in most ILMC and thought that might be the way to go. No light loss, increased DOF on some, not a bad thing on long lenses and way big multipliers. My K-5 transforms my Tamron 400mm into a 16 Meg 600mm while the GX1 would give me a 800mm also with 16 megs pixel count, Nex 7 600mm with 24 Mpixels and the new Nikon would boast that right up to 1080mm but only 10 Mpixels so may be just like a crop. Not sure if I could go out in public with the Pentax toy camera perched on the end of that lens. You know manly issues. ;-)

With a PK to whatever body adapter, I could use the ILMC body with any number of my Pentax primes. The NEX 7 with the 15mm or 21 and have quite a lot of data to work with for images of big vistas. The GX1 would make my macro lenses sing since there would be no focus issues that I get using the OVF. Actually those are the two I am most interested in which are also the two not available yet.

I thought of the NEX 5n but it has no hot shoe so I could not use it to trigger my studio flashes and it gives me the same image as the K-5 so no real gain other than a smaller second body. Just throwing this out there for discussion and maybe feedback from those who already are doing it.

Cheers, Dave

11-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly a feasible idea- but a mirrorless camera isn't a pro camera. For personal outdoor use it might get the job done, but probably not in the studio.

And yeah, definitely don't buy a Q just to use it with telephoto lenses...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Any APS-C-sensor MILC like a NEX will have exactly the same format-faktor as a K5. Putting a Pentax lens on the NEX does nothing except require an adapter that makes the lens protrude just as far.

And putting a lens on another camera doesn't transform the lens at all. The focal length remains the same. A smaller frame sees less of the projected image; it 'crops' more of the image circle, that's all. Example: I had a 135/HF (half-frame, same size as APS-C) Olympus Pen-FT film SLR, and a T2-mount Spiratone 400mm lens. I thought, OH BOY, IT'S A 600MM LENS NOW! But it wasn't. It was just a 400mm lens with the image edges chopped-off.

Except for costly TCs, especially those matched to specific lenses, IQ degradation is usually such that you'll get better images by just cropping. Using a smaller-format camera just crops even more of the image. Good luck!
11-17-2011, 04:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Any APS-C-sensor MILC like a NEX will have exactly the same format-faktor as a K5. Putting a Pentax lens on the NEX does nothing except require an adapter that makes the lens protrude just as far.

And putting a lens on another camera doesn't transform the lens at all. The focal length remains the same. A smaller frame sees less of the projected image; it 'crops' more of the image circle, that's all. Example: I had a 135/HF (half-frame, same size as APS-C) Olympus Pen-FT film SLR, and a T2-mount Spiratone 400mm lens. I thought, OH BOY, IT'S A 600MM LENS NOW! But it wasn't. It was just a 400mm lens with the image edges chopped-off.

Except for costly TCs, especially those matched to specific lenses, IQ degradation is usually such that you'll get better images by just cropping. Using a smaller-format camera just crops even more of the image. Good luck!
But that is my point with the NEX-7 and the GX1. Each of them gives me more data in the same area as the K-5 sensor. The NEX-7 just is more pixels in the same space, 24 vs 16 megs both APC size sensors and the GX1 gives me more in the center of the image, 16 megs in a mFT sensor. So both bodies effectively increase the magnification of my lenses in a better fashion than the TC would but minus some of the TC cost to IQ, at least to my way of thinking.

Dave

11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
But that is my point with the NEX-7 and the GX1. Each of them gives me more data in the same area as the K-5 sensor. The NEX-7 just is more pixels in the same space, 24 vs 16 megs both APC size sensors and the GX1 gives me more in the center of the image, 16 megs in a mFT sensor. So both bodies effectively increase the magnification of my lenses in a better fashion than the TC would but minus some of the TC cost to IQ, at least to my way of thinking.

Dave
I agree. I was quite impressed with the sharpness of my Pentax lenses when mounted on micro four thirds.