Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Whatever the test results say, both are "sharp". However, in actual use the DA15 simply wipes the floor with the DA12-24 because of CA & flare resistance, any tiny differences in sharpness doesn't matter. The 12-24 is a PP nightmare compared to the DA15, try shooting seascapes/landscapes with the sun in frame and you'll quickly see what I mean. HDR only makes matters worse, in the +2 exposure the DA15 has it all over the 12-24. For me the 12-24 is a "necessary evil", I don't enjoy using it much, and I have to be conscious of it's downsides, but it's unbeatable as a travel zoom in urban areas.

Last edited by twitch; 11-23-2011 at 07:57 PM.
11-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Whatever the test results say, both are "sharp". However, the DA15 simply wipes the floor with the DA12-24 because of CA & flare resistance, any tiny differences in sharpness doesn't matter. The 12-24 is a PP nightmare compared to the DA15, try shooting seascapes/landscapes with the sun in frame and you'll quickly see what I mean. HDR only makes matters worse, in the +2 exposure the DA15 has it all over the 12-24. For me the 12-24 is a "necessary evil", I don't enjoy using it much, and I have to be conscious of it's downsides, but it's unbeatable as a travel zoom in urban areas.
I believe you are not being fair about that. it seems to me that you are making it appear the DA12-24 is a bad lens. to be honest, both lenses have their own pros and cons and not one has an overall edge over the other.

sorry but I beg to strongly disagree with your biased assessment.
11-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe you are not being fair about that. it seems to me that you are making it appear the DA12-24 is a bad lens. to be honest, both lenses have their own pros and cons and not one has an overall edge over the other.

sorry but I beg to strongly disagree with your biased assessment.
I don't think he has biased opinion, he just values certain aspects of lenses more than just outright sharpness. I agree with his opinion, even tough I don't own DA 12-24, but for me a landscape lens has to deal with harsh light conditions. And to me, this aspect is more important than outright sharpness. What's the point of having great sharp lens, where everything is sharp, but the image is ruined by lens flare, CA and my pet peeve "Purple Fringing". I've spent way too much time in PP trying to remove and some lenses are worse than others. I never had this issue with 15mm, it puts back "fun" into photography again. Less time in front of PC and more time behind a camera. That's how I see it.

As for me, I've chose 15mm ltd, I've lost a fraction in sharpness. But I've gained more portability and less chance of my photos being spoilt by artefacts like CA and lens flare,
11-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here's the -2 shoot from a 3 shot sequence. Keep in mind this is the -2 shot, not the 0 or the +2 which are much worse.

EDIT: IN hindsight I suspect I was using a square filter for this shot, I'm not positive however the degree of flare in this photo is much worse than I could find prior to owning the filters.

Last edited by twitch; 11-24-2011 at 02:04 AM.
11-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
is that from 12-24 or 15 ?
11-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

12-24.
11-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'll try and find a better example where I shot the 12-24 side by side with the DA15.....

11-23-2011, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

8 pointed sunstars? boooring!

DA15 makes 14 points, hooha!

but seriously, the correct answer to such a question is to buy them both and use them and then sell the one you dont want...or keep both, since you'll no doubt find shooting situations which play to each lens' strengths.

good luck with the LBA!
11-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #24
Pentaxian

twitch, thats ALOT of flare. was that bare lens, ie no UV filter attached??
11-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I don't think he has biased opinion, he just values certain aspects of lenses more than just outright sharpness.
huh? that is bias. if I say that the DA12-24 wipes the floor with the DA15 in terms of contrast and distortion, won't I be sounding biased as well?

the DA12-24 works just fine for landscape. it may possess some cons but it is a lens made to do as it was intended for. that is the point. we can have some poll here regarding how many were felt crippled by the DA12-24's cons. if such does indeed prohibit one from taking great pictures. flares and coma's aren't an anomaly. they are fairly common. some lens are better in handling them, but doesn't really eliminate them. the optical construction of the lens also plays a part on this. to be honest, it's not only in sharpness that the DA12-24 is good but has great contrast and distortion over the DA15. also better corners. the fact is that the true appeal of the DA15 is not because it has an outstanding IQ, but rather it's DA LTD form factor.
11-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Here's the -2 shoot from a 3 shot sequence. Keep in mind this is the -2 shot, not the 0 or the +2 which are much worse.

Thats a pretty big negative for a "landscape" lens!
11-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

do you have an image similar taken with the DA15?
11-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

You know I took the chance and shot the Judas Priest show with the DA12-24 and I was suprised to see how well it worked. Totally back lit and it was wonderful. I then shot a wake with the sun behind the attendees and again it was fine. Not sure if I got luck but I was pleased.
11-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
You know I took the chance and shot the Judas Priest show with the DA12-24 and I was suprised to see how well it worked. Totally back lit and it was wonderful. I then shot a wake with the sun behind the attendees and again it was fine. Not sure if I got luck but I was pleased.
maybe he got a bad copy.
11-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #30
Brooke Meyer

Da 12-24

15mm, six seconds at f22 for the fireworks. No filters. The shot I wanted, feels like our State Fair..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo