Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Jfax

Help on wide angles!

Hi!

I starting to get an eye for photography again now when i stopped using the kit lens and started to to use the phenix 50/1,7. So much better.

However, I feel that the 50/1,7 is quite limiting when using it at 1,6X crop. I mostly shoot skateboarding and people, so a much wider lens would be preferred.

As I´m a student I dont have that much money to work with, so it has to be a 2nd hand manual lens, which really isnt that bad.

I have been thinking about these lenses:

Seagull 17/3,5
Soligor 24/2,4
sigma 28/1,8
vivitar 28/2,8
Peleng 8/3,5
zenitar 15/2,8

Since Im shooting skateboarding, a fish would be good, but will perhaps be limiting since it would do so well in shooting photos of people, the zenitar would not be too much "fishy" though, so it may work.

Can anybody give me help with these lenses, or give me tips on others?

Oh, and I was thinking, I saw that some guy once put alot of extension tubes back on a m42 lens so that the camera wouldnt crop the image, will this work?

12-17-2007, 05:42 AM   #2

Why not a FA20\2.8?? I think this lens should be reliable, too. For skateboarding an autofokus-lens would be very useful.
other lenses:

FA35\2
FA28\2.8
F28\2.8

I would buy an AF lens.
12-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Jfax

Now, if you even tried to read my post, and thought about how much your suggested lenses would cost and what impact it would have on my economy you would soon realize that those lenses is out of the question
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Ok.

What about old Pentax smc M or smc A lenses??
Something like A28\2.8??

Try this website: Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
Don't worry about the ".de". The Website is in English.

12-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Oh, and I was thinking, I saw that some guy once put alot of extension tubes back on a m42 lens so that the camera wouldnt crop the image, will this work?
The extension tubes will limit how far you can focus, and so aren't really useful for what you want.

I've had good results with a Pentax smc-A 28mm f/2.8 - reasonably easy to focus, and has a decent DOF. With a 24mm you'd get more of the same...

Whatever the brand, if it has a K-A mount your shooting will be faster as the metering and stop down stuff is all taken care of. In some ways the M42 lenses are MORE convenient than the M K mounts, as you can leave the camera on AV and simply click the aperture ring down to where you want it... The K mount will stop down for you but you'll have to meter manually, which can slow things down a bit (depending...)

Do you have the kit zoom? If you do, which focal length(s) do you like for the kind of shooting you do - I'd look into a prime of similar length. OTH if the kit doesn't go wide enough for you, then look for one of the ultra wides.
12-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Jfax

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The extension tubes will limit how far you can focus, and so aren't really useful for what you want.

I've had good results with a Pentax smc-A 28mm f/2.8 - reasonably easy to focus, and has a decent DOF. With a 24mm you'd get more of the same...

Whatever the brand, if it has a K-A mount your shooting will be faster as the metering and stop down stuff is all taken care of. In some ways the M42 lenses are MORE convenient than the M K mounts, as you can leave the camera on AV and simply click the aperture ring down to where you want it... The K mount will stop down for you but you'll have to meter manually, which can slow things down a bit (depending...)

Do you have the kit zoom? If you do, which focal length(s) do you like for the kind of shooting you do - I'd look into a prime of similar length. OTH if the kit doesn't go wide enough for you, then look for one of the ultra wides.
I dont really get what you are saying, but I put the camera on the not to use auto aparature setting, so I it dont have any connection at all with the lenses, that way I can do what I want.

I woul perhaps buy a wider lens... Since I already have an 50mm, and only use the 18mm and 55mm on the kit lens.

So does anybody have any info on :

The zenitar
Peleng
seagull?
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #7

The Peleng is a circular fisheye, means the photo is a cirle, the corners are black.
Look here: Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - Photozone Test Report / Review

12-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of people have the Zenitar. Great lens. It's not terribly "fishy" and at the distances you are working with you could probably leave it focused at infinity, the DOF on that baby is waaayyyyy wide. I would say it's only downfall is that it doesn't do terribly well in low light, f2.8 is so soft to be pretty much unuseable. It's really great from 4.0 on and the sweet spot is between 5.6 and 8.0. An added benifit is that you can get quite close, so if you like to get good close ups, you are in luck. For some examples of what this lens can do try here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/4404-i-lied-8-a.html

NaCl(one of my fav lenses)H2O
12-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jfax, I don't know what your budget is, but you can occasionally find the wide AF sigmas second hand and usually at 300usd or less. I picked up a second Sigma 24mm F1.8 for under 300 not too long ago. If that is out of your range I apologize for bringing it up. One of the problems is that wide angles are more expensive to make than telephotos for the most part.
Here is another link to some more Zenitar (and other's check out Carpents SMC Takumar B&W shot) shots
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/7508-who-says-you-can-t-...tar-macro.html

NaCl(sometimes if you are lucky you can pick up some good lenses pretty cheap)H2O
12-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
jro

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Jfax, I don't know what your budget is, but you can occasionally find the wide AF sigmas second hand and usually at 300usd or less.
I'll second that. I got a 24mm f/1.8 used for $225.
12-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The zenitar while not as 'fishy' is still a great choice. Its only $150ish and you still get large dof so focusing is not an issue. The field of view has been said to resemble at least a rectilinear 20mm lens if no slightly wider.