Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
you know how small the bugs are when you get a picture just outside their "fear distance" (as I think Shaw terms it) In fact you may want a 3X TC.
There is no such thing as fear distance. 50 mm macro lens is just OK for most of the critters. Only with dragonflies you have to approach when they eat, sleep or mate. Which is basically what they prefer to do most of their short lifes.

11-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's an inexpensive option no doubt laid out in Rio's cheap macro tutorial - M42 to K adapter, M42 bellows, Takumar preset 135mm or 200mm. I had both lenses, kept the 135 because the 200mm gave me too much working distance. Of course, if you want to use your FA50 (and who wouldn't?) the 2X TC maybe the way to go.
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Solution to the price problem

QuoteOriginally posted by El Pentaxero Quote
Because i cant afford to get a new lens. thank you
I would suggest you look into the secondhand market. Lenses are fairly easy to buy on internet sellers. My rules for buying:
1. seller must show good pictures
2. seleer's description must be consistent with the picutres
3. only buy one that seems likely to be good optically (cosmetics might give the impression, but I can forgive some abrasions etc.
4. seller has good reputation (on the site)
5. can buy using secured processes
6. be patient - you do not need to buyy the first available if it seems like not a good deal
7. after buying, stop watching that kind - to avoid diappointment
11-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Here's an inexpensive option no doubt laid out in Rio's cheap macro tutorial - M42 to K adapter, M42 bellows, Takumar preset 135mm or 200mm. I had both lenses, kept the 135 because the 200mm gave me too much working distance. Of course, if you want to use your FA50 (and who wouldn't?) the 2X TC maybe the way to go.
An old tale: Back in the day (circa 1975) I had an Olympus Pen-FT, a half-frame 35mm SLR with frame size very close to APS-C. What a beauty! And I had a (and still have another) T-mount Spiratone 400/6.3 long lens, and a shoulder stock. What beasts! I built a rig of 2X TC, tubes, bellows, and long lens, mounted on the shoulder stock. Loaded with Tri-X pushed to ASA 1000, out in bright sunlight, I could shoot closeups of rattlesnakes in the wild from a safe distance, like 3-4m.

If that kind of working distance isn't needed, putting a 100-200mm lens on bellows and/or tubes makes good sense. My bellows all extend out to about 140mm, so mounting a 135mm will reach 1:1 magnification, and a 200mm will reach 1:1.4. Such primes will work fine if edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness isn't necessary. Center the subject and to hell with the edges.

Good rules, tim60! I'll throw in my bidding strategy:
Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of auctions; don't sweat it, another will come along shortly. If you *do* find a good candidate, figure what it's worth to you and don't go much beyond that.
I'll disagree a bit on body cosmetics. My two fine macro lenses were somewhat battered but work just great. But be sure the glass is in very good condition. Small traumas that may be unnoticeable at normal shooting distances can kill macro shots.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-27-2011 at 03:11 AM.