Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
lens hood for 50-135

Folks
If ever you break a lens hood like I did on my 50-135mm lens, be prepared to wait 4 weeks (not bad compared to the 2-3 months i heard from a few places) and shell out 85.00 bucks for one...I just finally received my replacement today
Now I can start to use it again...When I broke the hood, it depressed me to the point, where I would not even touch that lens, but tonight, is a different story..

p.s If ever you need something quick, this is the best place, but will cost more..
PentaxWebstore - Home.

12-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lens hoods are for wimps!

12-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Folks
If ever you break a lens hood like I did on my 50-135mm lens, be prepared to wait 4 weeks (not bad compared to the 2-3 months i heard from a few places) and shell out 85.00 bucks for one...I just finally received my replacement today
Now I can start to use it again...When I broke the hood, it depressed me to the point, where I would not even touch that lens, but tonight, is a different story..

p.s If ever you need something quick, this is the best place, but will cost more..
PentaxWebstore - Home.

Did it save your lens?
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yikes!

That's one expensive little piece of plastic.

Must have cost Pentax at least, say, 11 cents to make.

12-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Did it save your lens?
Yes!! the lens is perfect, thank God...When the camera fell, it landed on its hood, breaking the hood and thus absorbing the shock...
12-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Yes!! the lens is perfect, thank God...When the camera fell, it landed on its hood, breaking the hood and thus absorbing the shock...
I prefer a hood to a UV filter for that very reason. While crawling around the big rock pile I live part way up (the Rockies), The lens front does occasionally bang into something. $85 for a hood sure beats $900 - $1,200 for a new lens.
12-18-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Glad your lens was ok! I must say I am VERY impressed with the hood on the 50-135. It feels MUCH more solid/substantial than the one with my Tamron 28-75 and my old 18-55mm kit lens. It also makes folks go up to you and say "WOW, what a camera!"

12-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I prefer a hood to a UV filter for that very reason. While crawling around the big rock pile I live part way up (the Rockies), The lens front does occasionally bang into something. $85 for a hood sure beats $900 - $1,200 for a new lens.
I agree..
I used to have UV filters on my lenses, but then I was reading one day, here as the matter of fact, and someone made the comment to the affect of.. ''Why add more glass to the glass'' and it got me thinking..How true, so, I decided to test it in my own very unscientific way, and at least to me, the pictures seem better with out the filter...The only exception being if I am using a polarizer or am at the beach or where wind is a factor...

I agree the hood is great protection...That is what saved my lens..