Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DA 18-250mm Zoom Lens Hood

Dear Pentax Users. I must be getting senile in my senior photography years. I have a K10d and several excellent pieces of Pentax DA glass. Most recently acquired the 18-250mm zoom and would like to use it; however, I am having a dickens of a time trying to remove the bayonet style lens hood that is mounted backward on the lens from the factory. It seems I have applied enough torque to screw the entire lens apart, but alas - it's still tightly mounted in reverse. Anyone out there have any idea as to why this doggone hood is so obstinate? Did I miss something in the instructions? I don't want to tear up a good lens just to get the hood off. Please respond if you have had any experience with the removal of this hood. I'm forever greatful.

shutterbob

12-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #2

I too have had problems with the hood on this lens. It is very easy to get it cross threaded. Look closely at yours and see if it is parallel to the lens cap, if not it is cross threaded and is on a bit of an angle. You can try a gentle squeeze on the hood as you try to unscrew it from the lens.

My feels a bit fragile so I don't put it on the lens backward like I do all the others. Mine was cross threaded when I got it but was not tightened so I did manage to get it off.

If you can't get the hood off and you purchased the lens from a brick and morter store, you should take it back to them and let them try.

Good luck with it. It seems to be a very nice lens from the few photos I have had time to take with it.
12-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

I have a similar issue on the Pentax 50-200mm. I did manage to get the lens hood off from the backwards storage position but my problem is with mounting it. I lined up the white markers, mounted it, and rotated the hood clockwise. It comes to about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch from the second white line and stops. Should I go further, how much pressure should I apply?

I know this is a very basic question. I just don't want to break a brand new lens.

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't know what I was doing wrong last night. But it popped right on this morning. I'm sure it won't be my last stupid question.

Last edited by Joe_M; 12-18-2007 at 07:24 AM.
12-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

I've had some minor problems with the hood on my 16-45. Usually the problem is I'm squeezing the hood too much. When I just apply rotational force it works fine. When I squeeze inward I deform the hood into an oval and it's a lot harder to rotate. May not be the case with you though.