Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Again!

I bought an old Sigma zoom from a highly-reputable forum member recently and we were both bummed when I discovered that it was exhibiting a curious AF malfunction. After (quickly) reaching the limits of my diy repair competence, I shipped it to Sigma for repair (with agreement from the seller to share the cost of repair) Upon receiving the lens, Sigma emailed me to say that, given the antiquity of the lens, they had to decline any attempt at repair and would return it to me. It arrived yesterday--and it's working perfectly!

Now, I don't know for sure that Sigma did anything to the lens but giggle at it: maybe what ever got jiggled out of place enroute from the seller got jiggled back enroute to and from Rokonoma Ronokomkma New York but I think it's more likely that Sigma did some simple service (like tightening the mount screws?) as part of the receiving/shipping routine that fixed the problem. In any case, I paid nothing but shipping to Rokonoma Ronokomkma New York and the seller and I are very happy.

06-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Great to hear! I plan to visit New York Ronkonkoma sometime because I don't visit Long Island enough, and I'd love to sneak around the Sigma center also.
06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I don't visit Long Island enough
Me either! It's been years since I visited Shinnecock Inlet & Montauk. Post some photos when you get the chance.
06-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Me either! It's been years since I visited Shinnecock Inlet & Montauk. Post some photos when you get the chance.
Will do !

06-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I bought an old Sigma zoom from a highly-reputable forum member recently and we were both bummed when I discovered that it was exhibiting a curious AF malfunction. After (quickly) reaching the limits of my diy repair competence, I shipped it to Sigma for repair (with agreement from the seller to share the cost of repair) Upon receiving the lens, Sigma emailed me to say that, given the antiquity of the lens, they had to decline any attempt at repair and would return it to me. It arrived yesterday--and it's working perfectly!

Now, I don't know for sure that Sigma did anything to the lens but giggle at it: maybe what ever got jiggled out of place enroute from the seller got jiggled back enroute to and from Rokonoma Ronokomkma New York but I think it's more likely that Sigma did some simple service (like tightening the mount screws?) as part of the receiving/shipping routine that fixed the problem. In any case, I paid nothing but shipping to Rokonoma Ronokomkma New York and the seller and I are very happy.
That sounds like when my brother sent in a dropped 16-45 that didn't work for a cost estimate. I came back actually working (but not perfectly) after deciding the price would be too high for the lens. At least it's working, for a small fee!