Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Who did you send your Sigma lenses to? I have to send my 70-200 for servicing and I saw that they have their NY location and several authorized third-party service centers.
What kind of service are you needing? If it's just calibration, you might contact the Chicago service center and see if that's something they could do while you wait, so you save the postage. (Assuming it's within easy driving distance). And if they don't get it right, you would still always have the option of sending it to NY.

11-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
How long ago was your service? I ask, because I also just had an EXCELLENT experience with the Sigma USA service department.
Beginning of summer.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Maybe it's worse in Canada than USA?
There is no service by Sigma in Canada. Gentec serves as their service point. However, even though Sigma offers an international warranty, Gentec does not honor it. They charge 50$ to "open your account" and start service your warrantied item if it was bought outside of Canada (my flash was bought in the USA). So I sent my unit to the NY office.

These are OTHER reasons why I don't like their service.
11-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

good to hear. thought about the 17-50 and this might put me over.
11-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Add me as another satisfied Ronkonkoma client. Last month, I sent my 24-70 and 70-200 in for calibration. They also updated the AF data/firmware. Everything was back within a couple of weeks.

11-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

What kind of service are you needing? If it's just calibration, you might contact the Chicago service center and see if that's something they could do while you wait, so you save the postage. (Assuming it's within easy driving distance). And if they don't get it right, you would still always have the option of sending it to NY.
Lens element separation - can see tiny bubbles all over the inner element. Probably better off sending to the main office for such a major issue.
11-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Just as we speak the hsm of my Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 II HSM seems to have failed on me. It doesn't even attempt to focus and I hear no sound at all coming for it. I was just shooting, turned the camera off ad when I turned it back on no luck.
11-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Lens element separation - can see tiny bubbles all over the inner element. Probably better off sending to the main office for such a major issue.
Absolutely--that is a major issue.

11-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For a lens separation issue, I'd definitely go direct to Sigma corporate. Sending it anywhere else will likely mean they will in turn either ship it to Sigma or have to wait for Sigma to ship parts to them.

I'd say skip the middle-person.
11-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

My experience with the NY center was that they were responsive and communicated well and didn't keep the lens for an excessive time (on either of two occasions), but they also didn't agree with the performance issue that I felt was fairly significant. They sent back test shots, which I felt showed the problem (although they would have showed it better if they'd tested out to the edges/corners), but they felt the lens was within specs. I sent it to them twice for the same issue, and the net result was that we had to agree to disagree, and I had to resolve the problem by replacing the lens at my own cost.

Paul
11-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sigma may offer terrific customer service and turnaround and warranty but that doesn't take away the fact that buying a Sigma I liken to a throw of the dice. Sigma's QC can be dodgy, particularly with focus calibration.

As a Sigma user, I was fortunate enough to test my Sigma 30mm before buying. Got plenty of friends who bought their Sigmas in different mounts and who experienced focus errors and FF/BF firsthand. This was with their fast primes and fast zooms like the 70-200mm HSM.

Where I am, so many Sigma users routinely send their lenses for focus calibration that it has no longer become a free service.
11-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Where I am, so many Sigma users routinely send their lenses for focus calibration that it has no longer become a free service.
Well, the original poster was referring to Sigma service in the US. So maybe the thread would be better titled "Sigma Service in the US Rocks...in Singapore, not so much"

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 11-27-2011 at 09:27 AM.
11-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the original poster was referring to Sigma service in the US. So maybe the thread would be better titled "Sigma Service in the US Rocks...in Singapore, not so much"
I'm open to that amendment. I used that calibration service with my 50-150/2.8: when the second copy arrived from the dealer with focus issues I sent it to Sigma rather than back to the dealer and it came back sharp as a tack.
11-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I used that calibration service with my 50-150/2.8...and it came back sharp as a tack.
I had to send my 30mm 1.4 in for calibration to my camera body, and sent my 50-150mm in at the same time since it needed a firmware update anyway (to focus in liveview). The tech tested the 50-150mm on my K-x, and said it was already "right on the money", so I guess I got lucky there.

A bit off topic, but I notice that you own both the 50-150mm f2.8, and the 70-200mm f2.8. Which lens did you own first? What made you buy the other? Now that you own them both, do you find yourself neglecting one? Do you feel like the extra reach from 150-200mm is worth the extra size/weight of the 70-200mm and the loss of the 50mm wide end?

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 11-27-2011 at 10:23 AM.
11-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I notice that you own both the 50-150mm f2.8, and the 70-200mm f2.8. Which lens did you own first? What made you by the other? Now that you own them both, do you find yourself neglecting one? Do you feel like the extra reach from 150-200mm is worth the extra size/weight of the 70-200mm and the loss of the 50mm wide end?
I bought the 70-200 first. It's a nice lens but I now have a 50-150/2.8 and a 100-300/4 so it's kind of been squeezed out of the rotation and I plan to sell it. I bought the other two because they're better suited for shooting my daughter's athletic activities--the 70-200 is too long for basketball and too short for the field sports.
11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I bought the 70-200 first. It's a nice lens but I now have a 50-150/2.8 and a 100-300/4 so it's kind of been squeezed out of the rotation and I plan to sell it. I bought the other two because they're better suited for shooting my daughter's athletic activities--the 70-200 is too long for basketball and too short for the field sports.
That makes sense. My daughters won't be doing field sports for several more years, so for now the 50-150mm is perfect for their ballet recitals and little school/church performances. Hopefully sometime in the next several years I will also be able find a copy of the 100-300mm f4.