Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who designed the FA31 Limited?

Was it the same person who designed the FA43 and FA77 Limiteds? Over at Dpr, there is a post saying that Pentax used a different designer for the 31 Limited. I would like to learn the truth of the matter.

Rob

11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From RiceHigh's blog:

The three FA Limited was originally developed by Jun Hirakawa also. However, Jun prefered smaller lenses that should look more elegant. He originally designed a FA31/2.4, based on the optical formula of the old K30/2.8. However, the decision maker at Pentax/AOC didn't like that for some reasons but wanted to have a faster lens. Soon later, Jun was replaced by another two AOC optical designers to take up the project, namely, Mr. Ito, Takayuki (伊藤 孝之) and Mr. Murata, Masayuki (村田 將之). And they finally made the FA31/1.8 Limited lens;

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Some "Lost Stories" About the Three FA Limited Lenses
11-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This may answer to your query !

JP

Edit: ... yu beat me to it, Psychdoc !
11-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
From RiceHigh's blog:

The three FA Limited was originally developed by Jun Hirakawa also. However, Jun prefered smaller lenses that should look more elegant. He originally designed a FA31/2.4, based on the optical formula of the old K30/2.8. However, the decision maker at Pentax/AOC didn't like that for some reasons but wanted to have a faster lens. Soon later, Jun was replaced by another two AOC optical designers to take up the project, namely, Mr. Ito, Takayuki (伊藤 孝之) and Mr. Murata, Masayuki (村田 將之). And they finally made the FA31/1.8 Limited lens;

For once "design by committee" actually gets it right

11-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
For once "design by committee" actually gets it right
Not entirely. The 43 & 77 have superior build quality due to the way they were assembled. The 31 demands very tight QC which Pentax lacks.
11-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Not entirely. The 43 & 77 have superior build quality due to the way they were assembled. The 31 demands very tight QC which Pentax lacks.
Well, that's debatable, but there's no getting around the (relatively) gigantic size & weight of the 31mm compared to the other FA Ltd's... maybe an f/2.4 would've been "pancakey?"
11-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Well, that's debatable, but there's no getting around the (relatively) gigantic size & weight of the 31mm compared to the other FA Ltd's... maybe an f/2.4 would've been "pancakey?"
Calling the FA31 "gigantic" in comparison to anything is a bit of an exaggeration, IMO.

Rob

11-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Calling the FA31 "gigantic" in comparison to anything is a bit of an exaggeration, IMO.

Rob
It's actually pretty normal size for a lens, nice 58mm filter thread and among the best balanced lenses on pentax bodies. Just the fact that it has built-in hood make it look bigger - I mean, pull out a filter of 'compact' FA77 and there you have a lens which is nearly as long as FA31, yet nobody calls FA77 big. :ugh:
11-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That's why I wrote "relatively." Have you held one up to the FA 43mm Limited? Or even scarier, any DA Limited? Okay, you're right - it's tiny compared to my 300mm/2.8...
11-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the FA31mm f/1.8 isn't all that much bigger than the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 - which is an RF lens. RF lenses tend to be significantly smaller than SLR lenses, so I don't think the FA31 is too big - the canon 35L is bigger than the FA31 and it's only 1/2 a stop speed difference between the two lenses. If the FA31 didn't have the built in lens hood then perhaps people would find it to be bit more manageable.
11-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

FA31 is TINY compared to the FA* 28-70, trust me.
11-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
FA31 is TINY compared to the FA* 28-70, trust me.
ohh yeah the FA31 is tiny compared to the sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG.

I don't think it is appropriate to compare the size of a prime lens to a zoom lens, zoom lenses are nearly always bigger.
11-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
That's why I wrote "relatively." Have you held one up to the FA 43mm Limited? Or even scarier, any DA Limited? Okay, you're right - it's tiny compared to my 300mm/2.8...
I understand, but using the word "gigantic" may give the wrong impression to those who have not actually seen an FA31 in person. So, let me be clear on this point: The 31 Limited is larger than the pancake Limteds, but it is not gigantic, not heavy and not cumbersome.

Rob
11-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
It's actually pretty normal size for a lens, nice 58mm filter thread and among the best balanced lenses on pentax bodies. Just the fact that it has built-in hood make it look bigger - I mean, pull out a filter of 'compact' FA77 and there you have a lens which is nearly as long as FA31, yet nobody calls FA77 big. :ugh:
And that built-in hood, being virtually useless, is the one flaw in an otherwise stellar lens. The hood actually looks cool, IMO, but it is too small to provide any significant shade for the front lens elements.

Rob
11-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And that built-in hood, being virtually useless, is the one flaw in an otherwise stellar lens. The hood actually looks cool, IMO, but it is too small to provide any significant shade for the front lens elements.
Same goes for the other two FA Limiteds. So a lot of people (including myself) use a custom hood.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/161305-lens-ho...m-limited.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/7157-sale-sold-fs-lens-hood-fa-31mm-ltd.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/157626-problem...m-limited.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90064-third-pa...d-fa-31mm.html

There's probably one or two threads I missed, but this'll give you a good start.