Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Helios-44 F2. problem

Hey eveyone, Recently ive picked up a Zenit E with a Helios-44 F2. The lens has lots of fine scratches witch are visable when look thourgh both elements and the focusing ring seems a bit lose and is really stiff, Its so stiff when turned it unscrews the lens from the camera body! Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this also i dont want to much money on it really?

Last edited by Hayob; 11-23-2011 at 01:01 PM.
11-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The fine scratches could be fungus. Do they look "web-like" at all?

I believe there are two "focus" rings on the lens, one is the actual focus ring and the other is to open/close the aperture for to allow for focusing (I believe).

Are you sure you are turning the right ring?
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
hey thanks for the reply, there a bit like a web, there all over the place really. And im turning the right ring as when you look thourgh the viewfinder it goes into sharp focus when turned etc.
11-23-2011, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
hey thanks for the reply, there a bit like a web, there all over the place really. And im turning the right ring as when you look thourgh the viewfinder it goes into sharp focus when turned etc.

It is likely then that it is fungus rather than many fine scratches (unlikely). Which sucks but is quite common. Likely the shots you take with this lens will be hazy or offcoloured due to the fungus. You may be able to get it cleaned but likely cheaper to find another 44-2 for like $20-30 on here

This is what fungus can look like fyi:
lens fungus - Google Search

Some others might chime in about what can be done for stiff focus ring. At this point thought I would say you might be best looking for a second copy.

I spent $100 on a zebra CZJ 35 f2.4, the first used lens I bought, didnt know what to look for, it was loaded with fungus and it has sat on my bookshelf as a "lesson learned" ever since

11-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Im not to sure im pretty sure it is really fine scratches. Thanks for the info though on the fungus
11-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just so we're clear.

Name:  IMGP4961.jpg
Views: 5058
Size:  134.4 KB

If you turn the Diaphragm Ring too far it will unscrew the top of the lens from the bottom of the lens.

My lens also bas what looks like lots of scratches, probably fungus. It just gives the lens that much more character. Who needs a Holga?
11-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
so is there anyway of fixing this? thanks for reply too
11-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sometimes, the old grease is congealed. WARNING: I am not giving you this advice, just telling you what others have done. A tiny - tiny - drop or two of lighter fluid into the focus ring has been REPORTED to sometimes loosen the grease up a bit. Do not use too much. Just a drop or two and let it set over night, then try it. You don't want to run grease into the inside of the glass lenses themselves.

11-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ultimately, you probably want to open it up and clean off the crystalized grease and start fresh.

that said, i have used lighter fluid and find it to be an excellent temporary aid in loosening up a really sluggish ring. also a small amount of heat (ie warming the lens in window light before working the ring over and over by hand.
the lighter fluid evaporates instantly and does not leave any detectable residue so even a sloppy overapplication is not likely to cause any problems.