Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New addiction: LSA

The opposite of LBA = LSA, yes, lens SELLING addiction.
I sold quite a few over the last year and each time I sell one I say to myself: now, that is enough. Now you are done, no more need to sell more, time to relax.
But strangely it feels too good to do so.
I no longer need 2 cupboards for my stuff, 1 does the job. And that one is no longer overcrowded.
It also clears my head from lenscobwebs.
Now I know many prefer the opposite, which is logical if starting from zero. It is different for me, I was left to deal with, lets say, the leftovers from the (extensive) family past.
It lamed me, but, I am liberating myself. That is because with the money, I can make my own choices and buy what I want.
Here, I admit, lurks a new danger.
I do not want my LSA transform itself in that other disease, LBA.

Anyone ever felt the same?

11-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I had the same symptoms once. In my case it resulted in a really bad case of LSR. (Lense Selling Regrets) So if you use LSA to combat LBA, you should use it very carefully.

Personally, I'm trying to sell two lenses, to help fund buying one more costly lens. My DA 18-55, DA 16-45 and Ricoh Rikenon 55 1.4 have all got to go to help fund a DA 18-135. I think I'll end up using that lens much more then the first mentioned three combined. (I don't switch lenses when it's misty/foggy/damp/dusty/etc. And I live in the Netherlands.)

It's not working at all though, nobody wants my lenses.
11-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, I had the same symptoms once. In my case it resulted in a really bad case of LSR. (Lense Selling Regrets) So if you use LSA to combat LBA, you should use it very carefully.

Personally, I'm trying to sell two lenses, to help fund buying one more costly lens. My DA 18-55, DA 16-45 and Ricoh Rikenon 55 1.4 have all got to go to help fund a DA 18-135. I think I'll end up using that lens much more then the first mentioned three combined. (I don't switch lenses when it's misty/foggy/damp/dusty/etc. And I live in the Netherlands.)

It's not working at all though, nobody wants my lenses.
So far I have regretted the sale of one lens only. I think that's not bad, considering I sold over 35 of the oldies.
The problem with selling is mostly price. Here I have the advantage: most, alsmost all I sold, came to me for free. So, price can be low, profit is almost 100%.

Yes, the weather isn't to nice for serious lens changing at the moment. But I have stopped minding about it. I do so if I must, but try to avoid if I can.
Maybe you are right and the 18-135 will solve your problem. But maybe it is easier to have a cheap second body. Swap camera to change lens .
11-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
Yes, the weather isn't to nice for serious lens changing at the moment.
I hadn't realized we're from the same tiny country up untill now!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
But maybe it is easier to have a cheap second body. Swap camera to change lens.
You are brilliant! But I also want a cheap second body to modify for infrared... I'll have to watch out for CBA.

But that's a serious quantity of lenses you've sold there. I know how much fun it can be. I've cleared my attic a few times by putting all my unused junk on 'marktplaats'. It's amazing what junk makes other people happy.

11-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I hadn't realized we're from the same tiny country up untill now!

You are brilliant! But I also want a cheap second body to modify for infrared... I'll have to watch out for CBA.

But that's a serious quantity of lenses you've sold there. I know how much fun it can be. I've cleared my attic a few times by putting all my unused junk on 'marktplaats'. It's amazing what junk makes other people happy.
Haha, yes, the joys of Marktplaats .... we have a really really big house and lately I have started to clear out all the unused stuff accumulated over the years. Marktplaats indeed is a great help. And if I get truly depressed, I load my car "to the brim" and stagger to the Kringloop. They are my salvation army. As I want to move to a smaller house, I have to get rid of it all. I still have the baby toys of my now grown sons .......

Well, yes, we should take care not to fall prone to the BBRB (Big Buying Regretting Blues). What really helps me is to remind myself of how much work it is to get rid of unwanted/no longer wanted stuff.
(I have started to tell everybody that all the things I am storing for them have to leave the house ..... my, so upsetting for them .....).
11-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A simple formula:
CGBA (cheap gear-buying addiction) + EA (eBay addiction) + NDI (no disposable income) --> GSA (gear-selling addiction)
Which means, sell something before buying something else. I fortunately have not yet been required to sell anything meaningful. No tough decisions, no regrets. I save my self-torture regrets for the stuff I unwittingly bought and can't offload painlessly. I think we had a thread here long ago about regrets. What do we most regret buying and selling? And, are they worthy of regret?
11-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My only regret is buying plenty of junk lenses in the past.
So much hassle to collect and to get rid off later, takes up precious space, image quality and functionality that is little better than mediocre. Better to buy a few good lenses that get to be used regularly than to be a collector amassing a hoard of old depreciating junk. Just my opinion having experienced the urge to collect and stalk eBay in the past.

11-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having never sold ANYTHING (except my darkroom) related to photography, I clearly don't have this problem.

It is most likely the reason I today have 4 film SLRs (3 pentax plus my mom's nikon), 4 DSLRs (all pentax), and 46 lenses (44 pentax mount and 2 nikon).
11-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
So much hassle to collect and to get rid off later, takes up precious space, image quality and functionality that is little better than mediocre. Better to buy a few good lenses that get to be used regularly than to be a collector amassing a hoard of old depreciating junk. Just my opinion having experienced the urge to collect and stalk eBay in the past.
My deepest sorrow is with having to deal with memories: apparitions in my mind. Selling the old stuff is like depreciating the memories of people gone by.
But anyway, who of us will be remembered in the long times to come ... So, though with some pain, but ultimately without regret, and with honest feelings of relief and joy, I sell.

Yes, the many I sold (30) bought me the ltd31mm.

But lately I have started to wonder, if that lens isn't a bit overestimated. Yes, I like it better than the 35mm macro ltd (which, guess, I sold), and it is autofocus, which is nice with aging eyes, but for that only, I don't know, still love my auto takumar 35mm 2.3 to bits.

What is a good lens. Well, that is the one I love to use. I fear I really don't care very much for whether a lens technically speaking is top notch or is not. I like my crappy kit lens just as much. Especially after the both of us fell of some steep steps and we both survived to continue. Amazing! we did both ...

Life is but small, for the moment my biggest investment is clearing out all the unwanted and uneeded. A time consuming process. But it will reward me with peace of mind and lots of space and time.

Then I can write again, go out more and find pictures for my writing.
11-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Same here but my definition of a "junk lens" is certainly different than yours based on your previous posts in other threads
11-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Having never sold ANYTHING (except my darkroom) related to photography, I clearly don't have this problem.

It is most likely the reason I today have 4 film SLRs (3 pentax plus my mom's nikon), 4 DSLRs (all pentax), and 46 lenses (44 pentax mount and 2 nikon).
Sounds like you need some Contax film stuff to round out the collection. I can hook you up.
11-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Which lenses are depreciating?
11-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A simple formula:
CGBA (cheap gear-buying addiction) + EA (eBay addiction) + NDI (no disposable income) --> GSA (gear-selling addiction)
Which means, sell something before buying something else. I fortunately have not yet been required to sell anything meaningful. No tough decisions, no regrets. I save my self-torture regrets for the stuff I unwittingly bought and can't offload painlessly. I think we had a thread here long ago about regrets. What do we most regret buying and selling? And, are they worthy of regret?
How do you survive Ebay?!

It seems like a nightmare to me to be a dealer on ebay. People and their complaints seem so frightening.
11-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
My addiction has gotten so bad; I now have 3PA 3rd Party Addiction. I buy 3rd party equipment, anything that is compatible with Pentax. 3PA started when I purchased a Ricoh camera for the Pentax lens. I ran a roll of film through the old camera and I noticed it had a nice comfortable feeling just like a Pentax camera. I have so many addictions has escalated to Pentax Addiction, the PA covers all the ‘buying’ addictions.
11-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I only suffer from a very mild form of LBA. I was looking for a 28mm or 35mm Tak to complete the M42 collection and walked out with a M120/2.8; just could not resist for the price of roughly US$30.

I definitely don't suffer from LSA; I bond with my lenses for some reason; I might not use some of them for ages but enjoy them when I take them out.

PS:
Just counted them; I only have 5 AF lenses and 8 MF lenses for my 3 Pentax dSLRs, so they don't take too much space
Oh, and somebody dropped an old Olympus with 2 lenses (manual focus) in my lap and I still have a Minolta X700 with 4 lenses.

OK, nearly 20 lenses

Last edited by sterretje; 11-24-2011 at 11:14 AM.