Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Rico pretty much summed it up!

For me I would have flip a coin for DA*55 f/1.4 or FA77 f/1.8
I'm impressed, that DA* must be really tugging at your heart strings as I know how much you love your 77. I've been using my FA77 on my MZ-S and have got to say I like its FOV much more on it than on my K-5, is that why you're liking the DA*55 so much, a bit more width?

11-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #17

Smc fa 50 f/1.4
11-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
This question pops up every now and then: IF YOU COULD ONLY KEEP ONE LENS, WHAT WOULD IT BE? And the answer is another question: If you only want one lens, why the f*ck did you buy an interchangeable-lens camera?!?

It's like asking: How much footwear do you own and use? If you could only keep one shoe|boot|sandal|swimfin, which one would it be? Kind of a silly question, eh? I don't wear snow boots at Mexican beaches nor Teva sandals at court appearances.

Lenses are like shoes: just one won't do.
Interesting illustration...
But how many lenses can you mount on your camera at any one time? Only ONE, right?
So which one is it? Which is your go to lens? Which one covers 90% of your shooting requirements?

Right now it's a toss up between the Sigma 30mm, the DA 35mm Macro and the DA* 55mm... I can go with any one of them.
11-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I think my mind just broke at the concept of only one lens. Now I'm freaking out.

My FA*85/1.4?????

I think I need a lay down now.

11-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 - I have made too many winning shots with that lens to easily give it up.
11-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
This question pops up every now and then: IF YOU COULD ONLY KEEP ONE LENS, WHAT WOULD IT BE? And the answer is another question: If you only want one lens, why the f*ck did you buy an interchangeable-lens camera?!?
It could be the features of the body, low noise compared to a P&S, or they just want the 10-17. But I agree with you.
11-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #22

If I could only keep one of my lenses, I would keep my Super Tak 50/1.4
I love the build and images it produces. I would have to revert to using my legs as my zoom.

11-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro

Like RioRico said, why own an interchangeable lens camera if you only want one lens. I can't settle on one camera, let alone one lens.

However, all that being said, I am working to learn my tools better, so I am spending time working with only one lens at a time. I much prefer to use primes so, for my 35mm, the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro is the winner this month. I started using it on November 1 and I have learned to really appreciate it. It isn't the smallest, it isn't the fastest, I doubt it is even the sharpest. But it is certainly versatile and I am finding that I can walk around town with this lens and I can make it work for most of the photo opportunities that I run into. It focuses darn close, returns great images at infinity, resists flare and works wonderfully wide open or closed down. On the K7 it is a little long and the color seems a bit cool, but it is so blasted versatile that if I want just one lens this is the one that goes along.

So, though I know it would be impossible for me only to own one lens, it is still quite interesting to restrict yourself to only one lens for awhile. It has made me look at composition differently...and it has made me realize that I still have much more to learn.
11-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm impressed, that DA* must be really tugging at your heart strings as I know how much you love your 77. I've been using my FA77 on my MZ-S and have got to say I like its FOV much more on it than on my K-5, is that why you're liking the DA*55 so much, a bit more width?
Yeah it is!
I like all my lenses...alot, but none of them connected with me on the same level as the FA77...... until the DA*55 came along. I'd say its a combonation of aspects, but most importantly I love the way it renders.
11-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Which is your go to lens? Which one covers 90% of your shooting requirements?
Uuuuuu none of them? If you had a lens that did 90% of your photos, would you need more than 1?

I concur these threads are a bit ridiculous. I use all my lenses for various things and as such would keep them all, if I didn't use a lens it would be sold already.
11-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Close call between FA31Ltd and M50/1.7

FA31Ltd as it's such a versatile lens; M50/1.7 as it's so bloody sharp.
11-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

If I could only have one it would be a zoom,at least 2.8 in the 28-150.
Jake
11-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

DA 15mm f4. I always have it in the bag even when it is not on the camera.
11-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
But how many lenses can you mount on your camera at any one time? Only ONE, right?
So which one is it? Which is your go to lens? Which one covers 90% of your shooting requirements?
How many shoes can you put onto a foot at one time? Which one covers 90% of your needs? Most of the time, I wander around in the house in my socks -- no shoes. For my local needs I'll wear different shoes for town trips, mud and forest work, snow stomping, parties. On some travels I wear one set of rugged-dressy shoes 60% of my shod time, and Teva sandals the remainder. Reducing that selection to just one rather kills many lifestyle options, eh?

No single lens begins to meet my shooting needs. For last night's Thanksgiving family festivities, I took the Viv-Kiron 24/2 because I needed the speed and width. I don't use that lens for macros, headshot portraits, distant small subjects, etc. My favorite single prime might be the Viv-Komine 28/2 CFWA. I don't use it for tight spaces, headshot portraits, distant small subjects, etc. My most-used travel lens is the DA18-250. I don't use it much for tight spaces, low light, fast action, macros, etc, but it's probably the closest to a single-lens solution. It still ain't enough.

Wanting to shoot with just one lens is fine with me. I once depended on an ancient 135/FF folder with a fixed 50/3.5 lens. Did nice work with it too; got published. That work was within a limited range. It called for invention and planning and a specific vision. But I can see more possibilities using more lenses. I'd hate to be stuck now with just a 35/2, the APS-C equivalent of.that folder lens. The world stretches beyond its limits.
11-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Tamron 28-75mm