Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-200 focus ring

I got an used Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 APO DG II Macro HSM some time ago and got a question about the focusing ring. Should it continue going merry-go-round after hitting the ends of the actual focus-range?

For me I can feel it hitting the near or far limits but I can continue to move past (quite a bit but I don't dare to push things to hit en eventual end) the limits without the focus reacting with just a tad more tightness as an indicator. Is this normal? The ring feels great and perfect excluding that.

11-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I bought mine brand new and it does exactly the same. I'm not worried about this at all.
11-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for a quick answer, it's better to be safe than sorry. I guess it's a kind of safety measurement against hurting the mechanical parts while autofocusing, right?
11-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

Mine also does that, I think what you are experiencing is a clutch mechanism that disengages the focus gears to prevent any damage, since the lens is quick shift compatible. Enjoy the lens, I love mine!

11-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I loved mine, until an hour ago when auto-focus failed and won't start again. Now I'm more sad and angry than happy with the lens and I'm supposed to use it tomorrow at a hockey game. Thanks HSM...
11-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I guess it's a kind of safety measurement against hurting the mechanical parts while autofocusing, right?
Perhaps - I don't know

Sad to hear about your lens - Perhaps you should try and see how well you can shoot with manual focusing. Won't be too easy, but it would be better than nothing, right?
11-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I got an used Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 APO DG II Macro HSM some time ago and got a question about the focusing ring. Should it continue going merry-go-round after hitting the ends of the actual focus-range?
Yes, that's completely normal; it's the same behaviour on all my ring-type Sigma HSM lenses i.e. 10-20/3.5, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 70-200/2.8 HSM II
Sad to hear about the HSM dying, but just to be sure, double check to make sure the AF/MF switch on the lens is set to AF; if the camera body is set to AF, but the lens switch is on MF, the lens will be MF
11-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I switched everything on and off a couple of times, both on the lens and the camera. I also cleaned contacts, worked all mechanical parts etc but not even a sound. It all just seem so sudden.

I'm already used to manual focusing due to the old lenses I bought but I got this lens mostly for shooting hockey and there I basically need AF. I hope it gets going again somehow or getting it fixed as I mailed the previous owner who had it in for calibration himself.

11-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, I actually came back from the dead! I tried to focus it while having my ear against it at different places and right in front of the zoom ring I could hear an extremely soft high-frequency ticking noise, like something was stuck. So I "shook" the focus and zoom rings intensively until it finally came loose.

Anyone encountered this problem? I'm just glad it wasn't a dead motor (probably not electronic at all) but maybe there is something sticky in there.
11-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Mine is only couple of months old and haven't experienced this. Are you sure the AF/MF knob was set properly? :P May be a stupid question, but it's better to ask.

Will be interesting to see how it will perform tomorrow - I'd send it in for repairs if there's any indication of something being wrong, especially if the lens is still under warrantee.
11-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nothing wrong with asking, but yes. I tried setting the knob numerous times (even wiggled it a bit to check for bad contact) and as the motor worked but was stuck I'm pretty sure it was mechanical.
11-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Haven't experienced this yet, though my lens is also only about 6 months old. I'd call Sigma about this - if it got stuck once, it could happen again, and at the most inopportune time.