Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is one thing that 21 will never beaten on by any zoom. SIZE! And sometimes size matters! The DA pancakes are very unobtrusive so might be very handy for candid shots. On the other side zoom gives you so much flexibility. I've been categorizing myself as prime shooter for last couple of years and I really love 24mm + 50/55 or 43 if one lens only. But since I got FA*28-70 the 24 hardly makes it onto camera and the 50/55 come out only when K-7s ISO performance (the lack of it to be exact) prevents the f2.8.

Oh and f3.2 vs f2.8? Some will say it's not diference worth talking about but on K10D it's diference between ISO1250 and 1600 (I always used 1250 as the highesr unless the 1600 was absolutely necessary). Sadly with that otherwise great sensor every 1/3 of stop above 400 and especially 800 is important!

My 2p

Disclaimer: I never owned Tamron 17-50 nor 21ltd so take my comments with pinch of salt

11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Forum Member

Steve T: excellent shots, it brings back memories of our trip to Scotland. Visited similar sites as well.
While I prefer to travel with the 18-250, I am experimenting with shooting at only 35 for now. Your photos helped to instill that a bit deeper as I can compare to photos I took there, thank you.
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normf Quote
I'm the ThreadStarter:
So I am suck for now. I like the 21mm for its low weight, and beautiful pictures. My wife likes the zoom for its versatile uses, and ease of taking the picture you want without moving the feet.

I do appreciate the responses, so if any of you can offer further guidance (DA 21mm vs zoom 17-50mm) - I"ll be thankful.
Seriously consider getting your wife her own camera? My wife got fed up with her p&s as the screen is useless in daylight. (Did the designers ever take photos without a viewfinder???) She now has my K100D, I have a K5. Her photos are amazing, a case of equipment making a difference for once. And I can develop my own style instead of having to do both styles when we are travelling, which is about 4 months of the year the last few years.
Just an option, used cameras are well priced, check your local camera store.

Gerrit
Gerrit and Pat’s Travels
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I don't know this Tamron, but when I look at its specification, then it's completely different story:

weight: 15.17 oz (430 g) vers 4.94 oz (140 g)
length: 3.2" (8.13 cm) vers 1.0" (2.54 cm)

I wanted something similar to X100, what I can wear without bag under the coat or jacket. DA21+K5 is not so far from that.
You have to decide what matters, whether size or focal lenght flexibility.

11-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #35

I have that Tamron and I think it's a great std zoom lens. However, (to me) it feels quite substantial and bulky...it is definitely larger and heavier than the kit lens.
This was the main reason why I decided to get the DA 21. Also, bear in mind that, when built-in flash is used, this Tamron lens may cast a shadow.

There are still some situations when I would prefer the versatility of the Tamron, e.g. when I have time and space constraints.

Last edited by mickeymon; 11-28-2011 at 07:41 PM.
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #36

Thanks Gerrit, I appreciate the thoughts/comments.

Looking at your photos... I think Nova Scotia is up near the top of the list for a future international expedition for us. My sister was there a couple years ago and she'd go back in a flash if she could, probably to stay forever.

Funny you mention the 18-250mm- I just sold my Tamron version along with my K20D to a co-worker, he's giving it to his father for Christmas. My previous K100DS wore the 18-250 exclusively for the few years I shot with that camera. Great lens, but I could do without the self-zooming feature.

A friend of mine bought the new Pentax 35mm 2.4 earlier this summer for his K-5. Light and inexpensive, and he's been having a ball with it, it's mounted a majority of the time he says, taking all kinds of different shots with it.

Steve.
11-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
From threadstarter: Thanks for all the great advice.

@humbr: get my wife her own camera: that was priceless. I told her I would, and she said no way she wanted to have to learn all these buttons and settings!
Your advice was great though. We agreed I should do what would be the most fun for me - not necessarily what should be the most practical. After all, she, and the kids all have point and shoot, for these quick candid pictures.

So I have ordered the DA 21mm from B&H (cheapest price around - with adorama - but they have faster shipping).

Against thanks to all - I'll post back to let you know how much fun I'm having with it!
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #38

Hey, good for you! I really think you're going to love that lens.