QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Is that another excuse? :ugh:
No, it's a reality check.

12-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
No, it's a reality check.
Fine. The reality is you couldn't restrain yourself from making a useless and jejune reply -- the first reply in the thread, no less -- to a new member of the forum, when a simple one word answer ("Yes.") would have sufficed, and your excuses are first that you're "in LOVE" with an inanimate object and needed to defend its (her?) honor and then that we're "on the internet."

Your "reality" is ****ed up.
12-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Fine. The reality is you couldn't restrain yourself from making a useless and jejune reply -- the first reply in the thread, no less -- to a new member of the forum, when a simple one word answer ("Yes.") would have sufficed, and your excuses are first that you're "in LOVE" with an inanimate object and needed to defend its (her?) honor and then that we're "on the internet."

Dude, that wasn't me. Back off.
12-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

You're confusing posters - DogLover didn't answer first.

Before the Internet became popular, people were expected to spend a month on a forum before writing their first post - this way they could watch the conversations, read the FAQ's, and avoid asking redundant questions. It was common etiquette. Now there is no such etiquette, which means that redundant questions can be freely asked and sarcastic answers can be freely provided. Like the Captain said:

QuoteQuote:
Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

12-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Ah yes, I did. Sorry about that. Thank you Laurentiu.

In my opinion the best answer to a simple yes/no question is simply "yes," "no," or "it depends." But I'm weird that way. Slapping newbies is worse than anything newbies might do, in my opinion. A forum like this should be inviting questions, not ridiculing people for asking them.
12-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

This forum is really pretty great on that front. There is a minimum of fanboyism (especially for a camera forum(!!)), and many of us don't mind answering the same questions repeatedly. While I agree that newbies (or anyone) should be answered in a straightforward way, this is why I just corrected the info when I saw the thread, without coming down on the guy too hard for a flippant post. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, and it's far too easy to make too big a deal out of something like this.
12-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why "naturally"? I don't find it natural at all. I find it silly. These are devices, not people. OP wasn't dissing your girlfriend. Whatever the faults of the original post, you're fooling yourself if you think your reply was anything but obnoxious and pointless.
I already apologized shortly after the original post and explained myself, and then went out of my way to provide demonstrations of how the camera renders JPEGs, so why bring it back up now? You didn't have anything better to do now but criticize me? What more would you like me to do?

And as I said, I knew that somebody would come along right after and provide the information, and that's exactly what happened 5 minutes later. If nobody else had come along and provided the correct information, I would have done so myself. I never had any intention of deceiving the OP. I just wanted to send a message that it's not polite to introduce yourself to the forum by making a blanket statement that one of the best and most successful Pentax cameras is "crappy"...especially while simultaneously demonstrating your lack of even basic knowledge about Pentax cameras. But I'm not saying that what I did was right. That's just what I was thinking at the time.

You've shared your opinon, but I still don't see what's so shocking about somebody getting a little defensive when someone who obviously has very little knowledge about my camera comes out of nowhere and says that the camera that I thought was so great is actually "crappy". That's wasn't polite, and I responded in kind. I don't think it's any more unusual than somebody getting upset days later about a harmless exchange between two anonymous people on the internet.
12-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Nobody has committed an unpardonable sin here, how 'bout if we just forget it and move on? Edgar has indeed apologized and that should have been the end of it. His original response did not seem to be mean-spirited, just flippant, and that's no big deal. If that's the worst we ever see here, then we're in great shape!

12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a moderator who has participated in this discussion, I would agree - let's move on. Keep discussing the photographic issues if there is more to say, but no need for any of the meta-discussion.
12-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #40
Veteran Member

In my opinion the best answer to a simple yes/no question is simply "yes," "no," or "it depends." But I'm weird that way. Slapping newbies is worse than anything newbies might do, in my opinion. A forum like this should be inviting questions, not ridiculing people for asking them.
No forum should invite redundant questions. And the issue here wasn't necessarily that the question was redundant but that it used aggressive language like "crappy". The only thing Edgar missed is a smiley to indicate sarcasm, otherwise, there is nothing wrong with his answer - what wrong can come from a bit of sarcasm - that someone might take the time to think a bit more about what they did to provoke such an answer?