Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

compatible?

Hello. question: Will the DAL lenses i bought with my crappy K2000/K-x work with the much newer k-5?

thanks\

edit:

sorry, I got the alt name wrong its the K-m not K-x

Last edited by praterg; 11-27-2011 at 05:56 PM.
11-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by praterg Quote
Hello. question: Will the DAL lenses i bought with my crappy K2000/K-x work with the much newer k-5?

thanks
No. May as well go ahead and sell your Pentax and buy a Canon.
11-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Granted, we get this question way too much, and people should make some effort to find the answer themselves before asking it again, but the guy just registered to make this post, he might believe you for all we know.

OP, of course they will work. Any Pentax lens with a K mount will work.
11-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
been trying to sell for months. Seems like people read the bad reviews..something i didnt have the brains to do when I bought it over 2 years ago. Had I read the reviews I wouldnt have bought it. Live and learn. Why do you suggest switching brands when you are a proud owner of a k-x?

thanks

11-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Granted, we get this question way too much, and people should make some effort to find the answer themselves before asking it again, but the guy just registered to make this post, he might believe you for all we know.

OP, of course they will work. Any Pentax lens with a K mount will work.

thanks...i was just reading the specs for the K-5 and it mentions all the K* lenses but I thought that the Dal series would only work with certain sensors specific to certain bodies. IM an old pentax film camera user from way back and figured it would fit but wasnt sure if it would communicate.

thanks
11-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Rule of thumb is that any K mount lens, be it M, A, F, FA, FA-J, DA, DA-L, or whatever, will work up to its original potential. A series will still have auto aperture, F and newer will still have autofocus as well. M and K lenses will require stop down metering with the green button to expose properly, but this is easily done with the current DSLRs. And all lenses you use will be stabilized, of course.
11-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, care to elaborate?

11-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Um, care to elaborate?
I was wondering that,too. My wife has a K2000 and while it may not be the most capable body to wear the Pentax name, she has managed some pretty stellar shots with it. I have no qualms using it as a second body from time to time.
11-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
I bought it over 2 years ago. My first SLR back int he 70's was the K1000. Of course everyone knows how good it was as a beginner camera. So, I thought k2000?....sounds like a done deal. After getting acquainted with the camera a few months and getting less than acceptable Jpeg images (I'm not an advanced user and have only dabbled with Raw processing) I begin to look for help on the internet. I find a review that points to the Jpeg engine delivering low image quality. I look deeper and find 2 more reviews that pinpoint the same culprit. The camera is easy to use and the learning curve for me was shallow, but without good image quality all other features are pointless. I'm still loyal to Pentax, though I have read reviews for other brands/cameras(namely the canon 600D and Nikon 5100.....but I doubt ill ever stray.

Hope that is what you were looking for.
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought it over 2 years ago. My first SLR back int he 70's was the K1000. Of course everyone knows how good it was as a beginner camera. So, I thought k2000?....sounds like a done deal. After getting acquainted with the camera a few months and getting less than acceptable Jpeg images (I'm not an advanced user and have only dabbled with Raw processing) I begin to look for help on the internet. I find a review that points to the Jpeg engine delivering low image quality. I look deeper and find 2 more reviews that pinpoint the same culprit. The camera is easy to use and the learning curve for me was shallow, but without good image quality all other features are pointless. I'm still loyal to Pentax, though I have read reviews for other brands/cameras(namely the canon 600D and Nikon 5100.....but I doubt ill ever stray.

Hope that is what you were looking for.
IMO if you're going to shoot jpegs, you might as well just use an advanced point-n-shoot. With any Pentax especially, you're missing out if you don't shoot raw. You're leaving IQ on the table.
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

To an extent I'll agree, but he'll never venture into using raw files if the camera doesn't support it. It'll be there when he wants it.

Besides, unless you're using very unnatural settings, our DSLRs are capable of very good jpegs. Some (non-Pentax) pro shooters use jpeg exclusively, especially for sports where the extra fps are important. Raw formats primarily let you rescue and adjust poor exposures, but they don't make great exposures easier.
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Brooke Meyer

A lof of stuff has changed since the 70's.

1973, had a Yashica TL Electro-X bought at the the Sub Base Exchange in Groton, learned to develop slides, would shoot at Mystic Seaport on Sunday afternoon, see late that night. The 1970's version of chimping. What hasn't changed is the exposure triangle or composition or seeing. Took a while to learn and a similar investment in learning and practice is required now. If you're not going to bother, don't bother. It's like blaming the bat for not hitting and the glove for not catching. There is no camera with a "Good Picture Button".
11-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Any Pentax-compatible lens ever made (since about 1937) will work on any Pentax dSLR. M42 and other screwmount lenses require a simple adapter; PK bayonet mount lenses don't, and can be just mounted on your camera. EXCEPTIONS: Some Vivitar and Ricoh-Pentax lenses need very minor modification. The rest just snap right on.

USING some older lenses is a bit more involved than using modern lenses, but they can still be used. But all autofocus lenses are really straightforward. F and FA and FA-J and DA and DA-L and DFA, all those are just plain vanilla to the camera. Make sure the base contacts are clean; if you want to work the aperture manually, make sure APERTURE RING= PERMITTED is set in the CUSTOM menu. Then get out there and shoot!
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
All the problems are solved
11-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The reason I responded with my less-than-helpful answer is because I was annoyed with the fact that a brand new user comes on the board, and he isn't even informed enough to know that the K-x and K-5 can use the same lenses, yet he thinks himself knowledgeable enough to slam a great camera, the K-x, dismissing it as "crappy". As a very happy K-x owner who is still in LOVE with my camera after two years, I was naturally a little defensive.

(And I may also be in a slightly worse than average mood since my Colts just lost their 11th straight game.)

Praterg: I apologize for the flippant response, since I usually go out of my way to help people on here. And I knew that somebody would quickly step in and provide the information you requested. That's the kind of place this is. So welcome to the forum.

Again, I believe the K-x is a great camera, and was the most bang-for-the-buck in it's day. In fact, I initially bought a Canon t2i, but returned it after a couple weeks and bought the K-x. No camera is perfect, but I find few shortcomings in the K-x, given its price. Perhaps its JPEG engine isn't perfect, but I've never heard that it's BAD. I've heard that it sometimes has a tendency to clip highlights, but it would hardly be the only camera to do that, and in most cases it would not ruin or seriously detract from the overall picture.

I always shoot in RAW, but the few times I've shot in JPEG (usually accidentally) I didn't notice any glaring image quality problems. So this evening I did an experiment, and set my K-x to JPEG and photographed some items I have here around the house. All of the pictures are JPEGs straight out of the camera, with no processing whatsoever. I had the JPEG set to the highest quality. I'm not seeing any problems with the JPEG files, but you can look for yourself and let me know if you see anything I'm missing.

Click on each of the pictures to open the full-size, 12MP image: