Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Something to look at!

I was on youtube looking for info on the Da 17-70 4.0 and came across this site I hope that this is not what you get if you buy one of these. I like the range for a walk around lense over the 18-55 kit lense. Any info from folks out there that have this lense as to the build and performaance would you kindly post it here?

Thank you Rick

11-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Never seen that particular lens, but I have to think that any lens with that much play in the barrel (especially retracted) has probably been damaged in some way. Hard to say with such a short video and no explanation though.
11-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After watching this, I pulled out my 17-70 and tried to wobble it like he did in the video. I get a little bit of movement, but not as much as he appeared to get. I think part of the "problem" is that it's a duo-cam system which would have more "wobble potential" than lenses that only have one inner tube. Having said that, I never noticed this before and it has never seemed to affect any pics. This lens has no lens creep problems, which is a good point too.

This lens has mixed reviews in this forum but the overall rating is still "good". I'm fairly new to digital photography in general, but I seem to be more comfortable taking pics with this lens than with my 18-55. I used it on my K-x for about a year and have been very impressed with the results I get. I just switched to a K-5 and haven't really taken this combo out enough to see whether or not I'll need to adjust the focus for this lens on the K-5. On the K-x it was SPOT ON for focus and did work quite well as a portrait lens as well as a general walk-around lens.

Of course it's bigger and heavier than the kit. The SDM seems a little faster than the kit's AF and it's quiet. I'd even say it's quieter than the new DC on the 18-135 I tested in the store. Check out what photozone.de says about this lens as well.

My friend compared his similar lens (Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS) and his has much poorer build quality and the tubes wobble even more than this video. HOWEVER, neither he nor I ever wobble our lenses while taking photos and have never found this to affect picture quality.

Don't listen to irrelevant comparisons like "slow compared to primes" or "not as fast as a 2.8". Those comparisons don't hold much value as this isn't a prime and you'd generally pay more for a 2.8 in a Pentax mount. With Pentax's latest DSLR sensors, 4.0 constant is FINE for most applications. Another advantage over the kit lens is the 4.0 constant aperture throughout the whole focal range. This makes it much easier to use manual flash if you ever get into flash photography.
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA 17-70mm f/4 and mine doesn't have any wobble whatsoever.

11-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PANGU_yien Quote

Don't listen to irrelevant comparisons like "slow compared to primes" or "not as fast as a 2.8". Those comparisons don't hold much value as this isn't a prime and you'd generally pay more for a 2.8 in a Pentax mount. With Pentax's latest DSLR sensors, 4.0 constant is FINE for most applications. Another advantage over the kit lens is the 4.0 constant aperture throughout the whole focal range. This makes it much easier to use manual flash if you ever get into flash photography.
LOL
Pretty much all zooms are slow compared to primes (exception being mostly some inexpensive older primes that may be slower than 2.8)
and a 2.8 zoom from any brand will cost substantially more than a DA14 - Exception being some zooms that may be 2.8 at the wide end - but 4.5 at the long end)
You tube is probably the single worst spot to look for any camera equipment reviews. almost all are fanboys of one brand or another who generally slag alternative brands, and rarely do any testing that has any substance.
As for the wobble it's not as unusual as you would think i get some in my Sigma 24-70 2.8. never had it affect the shot though
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wobble doesn't matter.
YouTube doesn't matter.
Speed matters, depending.

I haven't been looking at mid-range AF zooms because I just don't care -- I'm not in the market, so I won't waste my limited brain capacity on them. BUT... I do know that the image differences between fixed-max-aperture zooms of f/2.8-3.5-4 are less significant than their cost differences. How much is a single f-stop really worth? [That's a rhetorical question; I know the answer.]

BTW, I like fast lenses, and I also like slow primes. Whatever works, eh?
And I don't like misleading fanboi gear reviews. They obey Sturgeon's Law.