Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #1

Is it possible to improve AF with screw driven lenses?

I can't praise the quality of the original limited lens line enough- oil painting with light is the best I can do. I know (from reading the k10d engineer interview awhile ago) that the k10d's increased voltage (7.2v, I believe) sped up the screw drive considerably vs the AA battery powered cameras. In my opinion, the main thing hampering the original limited line at this point is the "hunting" that occurs to lock focus. I haven't used the new limiteds, and I hear that they are faster. Does anyone know (maybe those of you who have played with the prototypes, if you're allowed to say) if this "hunting" can be eliminated?

John

12-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
I can't praise the quality of the original limited lens line enough- oil painting with light is the best I can do. I know (from reading the k10d engineer interview awhile ago) that the k10d's increased voltage (7.2v, I believe) sped up the screw drive considerably vs the AA battery powered cameras. In my opinion, the main thing hampering the original limited line at this point is the "hunting" that occurs to lock focus. I haven't used the new limiteds, and I hear that they are faster. Does anyone know (maybe those of you who have played with the prototypes, if you're allowed to say) if this "hunting" can be eliminated?

John
I'm not sure about "eliminate", but switching to a single focus point can reduce it quite a bit.
12-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hunting is because the focus point does not have the correct variations in contrast to establish a focusing point. That is all to do with the image, light available, and lens maximum apature, and nothing to do with the screw drive.

Changing the voltage for the drive will accomplish nothing if the issue is hunting, except faster hunting but no improvement on focus.
12-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

AS Lowell and Canada_Rockies have said it is also using the center point and finding a higher contrast part of the picture. If the light is low I always look to find a point of higher contrast to allow the camera to focus. It always works and focuses quickly for me in most situations.

12-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
I probably shouldn't have used the word "hunting." I am referring to the last little bit of micro gyration that the camera/lens combo performs before confirming AF. Phonetically, it goes something like this: zooop, tic, tic, beep (if your AF confirm beep is set to "on" ). I don't mind the initial AF speed ("zooop"). I'd like to see that last little movement disappear ("tic, tic"), which basically doubles the AF time.

John
12-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
I probably shouldn't have used the word "hunting." I am referring to the last little bit of micro gyration that the camera/lens combo performs before confirming AF. Phonetically, it goes something like this: zooop, tic, tic, beep (if your AF confirm beep is set to "on" ). I don't mind the initial AF speed ("zooop"). I'd like to see that last little movement disappear ("tic, tic"), which basically doubles the AF time.

John
What you may be hearing is the camera changing focus as you move, assuming you are in continuous mode. Remember you usually can't hold perfectly still, and most subjects are not flat, therefore if you move the lens, the focus point probably shifts a little. Try the same on a tripod. I hear this from time to time, usually shooting through branches