Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problems with Kipon M42-PK adapter ring

I am interested in knowing what other forum members' experience are with this adapter. I find it is such a tight fit that it does not go on without excessive force. I would like this information for when I speak to the seller about another sample or a refund.

I do know from looking at past items one forum member: RKKS08 on 1/14/11, had no problem after removing the spring.

As background I wanted the inner flange to close the lens down, and have removed the spring.

11-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have a similar Bower unit, purchased for the same reason, to have an adaptor with an inner flange, and to have a second infinity focus adaptor, if I want to use 2 bodies at one time.

The Bower unit has it's own issues, some complain the screw holding the spring is too long, but I think the real issue is with the plating in the threads (OK not plating but anodizing) which has made the thread fit tighter than it really wants to be.

Into the camera has not been an issue
11-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I am interested in knowing what other forum members' experience are with this adapter. I find it is such a tight fit that it does not go on without excessive force. I would like this information for when I speak to the seller about another sample or a refund.

I do know from looking at past items one forum member: RKKS08 on 1/14/11, had no problem after removing the spring.

As background I wanted the inner flange to close the lens down, and have removed the spring.
Mine doesn't have any problem going on, it's taking it out the issue. I have not yet removed the spring though. I bought it brand new on a website couple months ago. It was their last one in stock.
11-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that the genuine Pentax adapter is below $30 why would you use anything else? Unless like RioRico you buy them in bulk.

11-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Now that the genuine Pentax adapter is below $30 why would you use anything else? Unless like RioRico you buy them in bulk.
Main reason to buy a Kipon adapter is because it has the inner flange. It allows Auto M42 (no A/M switch) to stop down. Besides, the Kipon adapter is not that cheap, it's about $30 due to its rarity and inner flange design.
11-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Main reason to buy a Kipon adapter is because it has the inner flange. It allows Auto M42 (no A/M switch) to stop down. Besides, the Kipon adapter is not that cheap, it's about $30 due to its rarity and inner flange design.
you can get the same thng, including the inner ring for auto lenses from B&H for $15 made by bower.

That is the one I have. Most comments about the screw being too long etc are related to this unit.

ALso, on my bower unit, the tolorances are such that the spring sticks up and binds against the base of the lens, or did until it met my work shop,

the sad point is that unfortunately thrid party parts sometimes don't fit together as well as ones designed and made by the OEM, if you have the patience and skills to resolve the demons then they can be a bargin, if you don't they can be a pain in the &$$
11-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you can get the same thng, including the inner ring for auto lenses from B&H for $15 made by bower.

That is the one I have. Most comments about the screw being too long etc are related to this unit.

ALso, on my bower unit, the tolorances are such that the spring sticks up and binds against the base of the lens, or did until it met my work shop,

the sad point is that unfortunately thrid party parts sometimes don't fit together as well as ones designed and made by the OEM, if you have the patience and skills to resolve the demons then they can be a bargin, if you don't they can be a pain in the &$$
Then the Kipon seems to be better built. It fits quite nicely into my K100D and *istD. I have no problem mounting lenses on it. Taking it off the body mount is challending if you don't know the documented work-around.

Also, I must admit that I don't use it as much as my other genuine Pentax adapters, which I have 5 in total, one for each body.

11-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I think I'd rather gimmick the pin than risk getting an adapter stuck to the camera.
11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think I'd rather gimmick the pin than risk getting an adapter stuck to the camera.
It's just paying attention to a little detail when you get it and perhaps putting a shorter screw in the hole. Like I said, a bargain if you have the patience, you need just as much to gimmick the pin, I've done that otoo
11-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the inputs.

I decided to give up on the Kipon and made the lens (21mm Vivitar f3.8) semi-permanently manual focus only--by sticking a block into the works (as described by gabriel.mp3-tech.org/blog/index.php?entry=entry090320-154132), and will use my (official Pentax) adapter. It just means the lens is also in M mode with my spotmatics--not usually a big deal with wide angle lens.

I did not realize the Bower unit from B&H had an inner flange. I may try this a bit down the road.

BTW in the past I had used photo tape to--in the short term (days)--hold the A/M switch in the M position (run a couple of thin strips around the lens while holding the switch in M mode). This trick could be useful so I thought I would mention it.