Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #1

SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

The
SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

use for studio/indoor work? any opinion.
Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax SMC-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict
it has good reviews, but i do not know if is good enough for indoor work? distortion and so on.....
thanks. piskota

11-30-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indoor, street, parties.
11-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's the lens I start with in all my indoor photoshoots. I can get away with the 21mm about 80% in the last month with about 10 indoor photoshoots. Indoor photography has a lot more to do with lighting and the best lighting options for what you want. My clients are very happy with the photos. I suspect the biggest drawback about using the 21mm is you don't look like a testosterone canon or nikon boy with a massive chunk of glass.

Its only in tight situations I use the 15mm and when taking closer or tighter shots I use the 35mm macro as I can control the light using a flash.

My experience is the lens is great for indoors. I only use the camera in manual and have several flash options also using manual. You can 80% of the time get away with bounce flash off a white ceiling but you may get back and find colour casts if the ceiling wasn't white.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 11-30-2011 at 04:18 AM.
11-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm happy with it but I've only had mine for few months, and always had flash when using it indoors.

The distortion is subtle and acceptable to me. I personally do not like too much distortion when photographing people, unless I really do want it.

Following image had minimal post work applied to it. White balance and added vignetting are the most prominent. I didn't correct the distortion on this one (or any other from that evening if I'm not mistaken).

1/60, f3.2, ISO400 + bounced flash

11-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

In my opinion it's a great lens, but it's not the simplest to use for studio and portraits. It does have a bit of distorsion and it's colours are so saturated that it won't render the skin tones pleasantly for everyone. I wouldn't have it as a sole solution for studio, but as part of a kit no problems.
11-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love mine for indoors..............on my K5, I shoot natural light (sunlight coming thru windows) often..........