Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

FA 35mm f/2 AL for studio work?

I just ask about this lens (SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited) at the forum if itis usable as all around lens for studio/indoor work. now i just focusing at the FA 35mm f/2 AL which is more expensive. it is worth the difference? how about the optical quality and performance of this lens and the usage for indoor photography?
Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict , highly recommended
As for a sole solution for studio?
any opinion?
thanks. piskota

11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own this lens but I bought it for the original, reasonable price. I believe the DAL 35/2,4 will do the same job for much less.
And yes, I can recommend it as general purpose lens, for indoor low light or studio.
11-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA 35mm is a stellar lens (it's also been discontinued for a while and stock has run out, unfortunately) and it would certainly deliver some very good results in the studio. Another lens you could consider is the 31mm limited.

The DA 35mm is based on the same optical formula, but it comes in a more flimsy casing with half a stop (maybe a little bit less) shaved off when wide-open.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
It's a great lens (FA35/2) and would make a fine portrait or studio lens. It's more expensive these days, even used and my understanding is the DA35/2.4 is a much more affordable and optically similar alternative. I would probably get the DA if I didn't already have the FA version already.

11-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks a lot. any more reviews are welcome. the Samsung D-Xenogon 35mm f/2 AL is the same lens?
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by piskota Quote
thanks a lot. any more reviews are welcome. the Samsung D-Xenogon 35mm f/2 AL is the same lens?
yes it is
11-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just ask about this lens (SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited) at the forum if itis usable as all around lens for studio/indoor work. now i just focusing at the FA 35mm f/2 AL which is more expensive. it is worth the difference? how about the optical quality and performance of this lens and the usage for indoor photography?
Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict , highly recommended
As for a sole solution for studio?
any opinion?
thanks. piskota
It wholly depends on the kind of studio work you intend to do. The 35mm is a slightly longer than usual "normal" lens and suites you well, if your subjects are comparatively large and you don't need to be very near your subject. If you want it for studio portraits, especially for head shots, it would be too short and you get perspective distortion, as you need to go quite near to your subject. For larger arrangements it is a very fine lens. It is very sharp and the built quality is quite good, though no comparison to the Limiteds. I would call it a realiable workhorse with much better than average optics.

I cannot comment on the DAs though, as I find them too slow to be useful for me.

Personally for studio work I prefer longer lenses, with the FA 50/1.4 being the minimum, but more often going for the 85/1.4. Unless I need to take images of small thing in table top manner, in which case any of the usual macro lenses will do fine.

Ben
11-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it's a great for portraits.

12-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
It wholly depends on the kind of studio work you intend to do. The 35mm is a slightly longer than usual "normal" lens and suites you well, if your subjects are comparatively large and you don't need to be very near your subject. If you want it for studio portraits, especially for head shots, it would be too short and you get perspective distortion, as you need to go quite near to your subject. For larger arrangements it is a very fine lens. It is very sharp and the built quality is quite good, though no comparison to the Limiteds. I would call it a realiable workhorse with much better than average optics.

I cannot comment on the DAs though, as I find them too slow to be useful for me.

Personally for studio work I prefer longer lenses, with the FA 50/1.4 being the minimum, but more often going for the 85/1.4. Unless I need to take images of small thing in table top manner, in which case any of the usual macro lenses will do fine.

Ben
+1

-=----------
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

How large is your studio? The space you have for camera-to-subject and subject-to-background distances may determine what focal lengths are useful for you.

Also: Do you have the DA18-55 kit lens or any of its 'replacements' around 17-50mm or 16-45mm? If so, what focal lengths do you use in your studio? Try shooting at around 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, and see which work for you.
12-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #11

Original Poster

RioRico. good point of view...
i already made those shoots. it seems that the 28mm range is perfect for my place... I find very useful the 21 and the 28 mm range.
i already have a 90 mm macro tamron for portraits, FA 50mm 1.4 and a kit lens. I am fraid about that pancake design and the distortion (i read about it) in case of the 21mm lens. I also read that the FA 28 mm is not too sharp..... and it is rare lens (in Europe at least). the 35 mm lens is a constraint solution, because that range is already at the limits regarding my place. the price of the lens> max 500$. i try to avoid the zoom lens. (?)
what do you recommend? thanks for everyone. piskota
12-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

Ben
I guess I'll be +2 on this.

I just did some self-portraits in my little spare bedroom studio. I used a DA70 and then a few 50-55mm lenses. The working distance for the tripod was much more comfortable in that room on the 50, but my balding forehead became longer with the 50. It is subtle, but noticeable to me. Now I'm going to try to squeeze enough room for the FA77. I have done portraits with the FA35, but it needs to be the right subject.
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

RioRico. good point of view...
i already made those shoots. it seems that the 28mm range is perfect for my place... I find very useful the 21 and the 28 mm range.
i already have a 90 mm macro tamron for portraits, FA 50mm 1.4 and a kit lens. I am fraid about that pancake design and the distortion (i read about it) in case of the 21mm lens. I also read that the FA 28 mm is not too sharp..... and it is rare lens (in Europe at least). the 35 mm lens is a constraint solution, because that range is already at the limits regarding my place. the price of the lens> max 500$. i try to avoid the zoom lens. (?)
what do you recommend? thanks for everyone. piskota
The FA28 gets good reviews: Pentax-FA 28mm F2.8 AL Reviews -- not quite as great as the FD31Ltd, but less than 1/4 the cost! A couple things to keep in mind: 1) AF isn't really necessary for most studio work (unless you are shooting acrobats!) so consider less costly manual-focus (MF) lenses. 2) 28mm is the most distortion-free focal length on APS-C cameras. I have seen some edge distortion in EVERY lens of 25mm or shorter. But the distortion in my 24mm and 21mm MF lenses is minor.

I have many many lenses, but only one AF prime, the FA50/1.4. I use a few MF lenses in the 21-24-28mm range. Only one cost more than US$100, the Vivitar-Kiron 24/2. Most were much less expensive: Lentar-Tokina 21/3.8, Sigma and Paragon-Cimko 24/2.8, Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CF, Tamron BBAR and Vivitar-Kiron 28/2.5, Makinon and Soligor-Tokina 28/2.8 and various others. Even a Toyo / Five Star (Sun Optics) 28/2.8 has very good sharpness and IQ.

Think about how necessary AF to your work. MF bargains are common. Good luck!
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
Acrobats or children... are the same
12-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #15

For studio work I would use my K35/3.5 and K28/3.5 if it had to be 35mm and 28mm.
Not the FA35 because of the CF and not the FA28 because the K28/3.5 is much sharper.
Yes I own the K35 and K28 and did own the FA35 and FA28.
Moved from FA-lenses to K-series and Voigtlanders and never looked back.
Although the FA35/2.0 is a good lens in many aspects I would go for the cheaper DAL35/2.4 if you opt for AF.

Last edited by freewheeler; 12-04-2011 at 12:58 AM.