Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wide lens advice needed

While waiting for my new K5 to arrive I'm trying to decide on the wide lens to buy for it. And I'd rather go for primes I guess. Pentax 15 f4 and Pentax 14 f2.8 look like the only 2 options. Questions:

1. are these noticeably better than the ultra wide zooms (like Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5)?
2. how would you compare the Pentax 14 f2.8 vs Pentax 15 f4 (other than the size)?

Or maybe I should go for a zoom instead (Tamron 17-50 f2.8/ Pentax 16-50 f2.8)? What do you think?

Thanks

12-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both DA primes aren't great on corner to corner sharpness as primes, but the DA14 being inferior. DA12-24/4 is probably the best Pentax wide but a little high on CA. Not sure about the Tamron.
12-01-2011, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search the forum on "15 vs 14" and you'll find lots of threads.

Also:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/165933-image-q...a-12-24-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/165862-best-wi...pentax-kx.html

etc.
12-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are MF options as well. Rokinon has a 14mm 2.8 as well. Lowell Goudge has one and has posted some nice shots from it (definitely the best value model)

I have the DA14 and it's not sharp in the corners (mind you UWA never has been really a 21 on ff used to be softer in the corner as well) It's not a lens that needs edge to edge sharpness IMO.
I use it a lot for Street photography as it works well in close
Also good for shooting in confined European urban spaces.
Great if you have a strong foreground object to highlight in a landscape.
Not a good landscape lens though the wide FOV reduces everything in size making most landscapes shot with it bland.

I used the DA14 for single in april this year while not all the shots are stellar by any means the gallery will give you some idea of what it can do in varied situations. There is a DA14 thread as well though not very active. If you don't need the speed the DA 15 has a nice size advantage.

eddie1960's Album: Single In April - PentaxForums.com

Since the DA 14 isn't as highly regarded (not having the limited tag) despite it's higher retail you will find used ones for less than a DA15. i bought mine when it was released and there were no options. I likely would again as I make use of the 2.8 on it quite a bit

12-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I should also mention on the Zoom front the newest variant of the Sigma 12-24 has their variant of WR which none of the Pentax have. It's also a Full Frame lens so if (when) a FF body comes down the pike it will still be compatible
there are also some very wide options like the 8-16 Sigma (apsc lens)
12-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
12-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
There are MF options as well. Rokinon has a 14mm 2.8 as well. Lowell Goudge has one and has posted some nice shots from it (definitely the best value model)

I have the DA14 and it's not sharp in the corners (mind you UWA never has been really a 21 on ff used to be softer in the corner as well) It's not a lens that needs edge to edge sharpness IMO.
I use it a lot for Street photography as it works well in close
Also good for shooting in confined European urban spaces.
Great if you have a strong foreground object to highlight in a landscape.
Not a good landscape lens though the wide FOV reduces everything in size making most landscapes shot with it bland.

I used the DA14 for single in april this year while not all the shots are stellar by any means the gallery will give you some idea of what it can do in varied situations. There is a DA14 thread as well though not very active. If you don't need the speed the DA 15 has a nice size advantage.

eddie1960's Album: Single In April - PentaxForums.com

Since the DA 14 isn't as highly regarded (not having the limited tag) despite it's higher retail you will find used ones for less than a DA15. i bought mine when it was released and there were no options. I likely would again as I make use of the 2.8 on it quite a bit
Ed thanks for the plug i was going to suggest the same thing.

it would be useful also to know what other lenses the OP has
12-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh also on the FF front there is the Tamron 14 2.8 now discontinued
Vistek in Toronto has them at $860 the regular shows as 1850 Henrys shows it a special order. Tamron no longer lists it on the Canadian site so Henrys may need web maintenance
$860 for a FF 14 2.8 is a smoking price

12-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I should also mention on the Zoom front the newest variant of the Sigma 12-24 has their variant of WR which none of the Pentax have. It's also a Full Frame lens so if (when) a FF body comes down the pike it will still be compatible
there are also some very wide options like the 8-16 Sigma (apsc lens)
I would be foolish I assume to think this would work on my PZ-1 wouldn't I?

nice thought though, a 12mm on film is really wide.
12-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yep your right Lowell doesn't work on the PZ-1, just have to pick up an MZ-S
12-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

I'm using the DA 15mm, and although I've not really compared it to other lenses, it does seems very good stopped down, and slightly soft wide open. The greatest things about the DA 15 is it's size, it's tiny, well built and a pleasure to behold. I used to use a Sigma 10-20mm, a great lens, but a pain to lug around with me.

MT
12-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

yep your right Lowell doesn't work on the PZ-1, just have to pick up an MZ-S
the MZ-S can work with HSM motors???

the PZ-1 shoulds as well then.

It was more of a joken than anything but it has me thinking. Some of the best shots I took with the samyanf are using the PZ-1, an extra 2mm is always of interest
12-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The MZ-S doesn't work with in lens motors, no. (I tried mine with my Sigma 10-20, it doesn't focus. Probably would work decently at the long end, but I never actually took any pictures with it.)

Still, I see no reason the 12-24 shouldn't be perfectly useable on your PZ-1, it's not like AF is the only way to focus it.
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The MZ-S doesn't work with in lens motors, no. (I tried mine with my Sigma 10-20, it doesn't focus. Probably would work decently at the long end, but I never actually took any pictures with it.)

Still, I see no reason the 12-24 shouldn't be perfectly useable on your PZ-1, it's not like AF is the only way to focus it.
No, it was just a dumb question and a fleeting moment of hope that the PZ-1 could magically focus HSM motors, after all it is an KAF2 mount, but any way, we have veered a little off course for the OP. If I really want a full frame 12mm I can always get the screw drive version, it is just, like a lot of other lenses, nice does not equate to need. In fact, I can only think of one shot in all the time I have been shooting where it would have been useful, Locally there is a wall art mural between 2 buildings. the alleyway is only 4 feet wide, and it is all my 8mm fisheye can do to take it all in, a 12mm linear lens on a full frame just might have a chance,
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can only think of one shot in all the time I have been shooting where it would have been useful, Locally there is a wall art mural between 2 buildings. the alleyway is only 4 feet wide, and it is all my 8mm fisheye can do to take it all in, a 12mm linear lens on a full frame just might have a chance,
That sounds like a perfect situation for parallel stitching. An 8mm on APS-C defishes to the equivalent of about 2mm, so a 12mm rectilinear (which is what a 16mm fisheye defishes to) wouldn't have a chance.