Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentacon 6 lenses with Pentax DSLR

It is probably not the best section for this thread, but I didn't know where else to put it. Also, my question may have been answered before, but I couldn't find anything with the search option.

Has anyone tried to use Zeiss medium format lenses with APS-C? These usually are not cheap, but in Germany occasionally you can get Zeiss Pentacon 6 lenses as a bargain, and they can be used with a P6->PK adapter. I understand on APS-C the resolution will suffer, but just how much, and what about the other properties? Can IQ be expected to just be usable, or even good?

I am also asking because I read somewhere, that many Pentax 645 lenses are stellar performers also with APS-C, but the lenses of the Pentax 67 not at all.

12-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its a good question, and maybe also ask it in the Medium format forum.
12-01-2011, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have several CZ in P6 mount, from Flektogon 50mm to Sonnar 300/4, and also arsat, mir, schneider and hartblei.
I use them mainly for tilt setup. Mir is the only with single coated, and flares badly.
Under regular shooting condition, all those are very good, but much better with a deep hood. They are heavy lenses.

P6 mount does not have a lock hole, so if you use them, be careful. I dropped the Mir on the tile floor into several pieces, mistaken the tilt ring with the release ring.

Short tele range 80/2.8 is among the best regarding quality/price, consider how much one have to pay for a pentax M 85/2 or Tak 85.

You can find some of the photos under "Tilt" folder in my picasa, minimum PP, just default sharpen for screen.
12-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hoanpham: Thank you, that sounds encouraging, the more as this covers the full range.

12-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote

I am also asking because I read somewhere, that many Pentax 645 lenses are stellar performers also with APS-C, but the lenses of the Pentax 67 not at all.
Performance or ergonomics, two different things altogether. I have SMC Takumar 300/4.0 P67 lens that I shoot with a generic P67 to PK adapter on a K20D. The image is very sharp corner to corner because I am literally shooting through the centre of the lens. Ergonomically, it's not so good; the lens is larger diameter than most, long and heavy. There is no tripod mount on the lens and nothing available on eBay, the tripod mount on the generic adapter sit much too far back from the centre of balance to be of much use even on a tripod. I have made a palm rest for the lens with a tripod mount socket located closer to the centre of gravity for the lens and camera combination which better balances the setup on a tripod.

Same ergonomic problem also exist for CZJ Sonnar 300/4.0 because the lens is just as long and heavy as P67 SMC Takumar 300/4.0. The disaster hoanpham met with his Mir won't occur if the P6 lenses are used in normal shooting mode (no tilt adapter) because of the obvious size difference between the aperture ring and the P6 to PK adapter's breech lock ring, and the fact that they are far enough apart from each other would make confusing the two virtually impossible.
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Performance or ergonomics, two different things altogether. I have SMC Takumar 300/4.0 P67 lens that I shoot with a generic P67 to PK adapter on a K20D. The image is very sharp corner to corner because I am literally shooting through the centre of the lens.
I have the 67 M* 300mm ED IF lens and compared it to my 135 format A* 300mm. No difference. And the burden of hauling the large lens around coupled with stopped down metering just seems to be an exercise in novelty to shoot medium format lenses on a smaller camera. But if you don't have that focal length in 135 format or after tilt/shift, why not.
12-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several items come to mind. As excanonfd pointed out the actual lens elements are larger and with you using a smaller sensor, the lens face corner to corner is going to be much better since you are essentially just using the center of the lens. Physical size and the mechanical linkage is going to differ lens to lens. Before the 645D was announced the older 645 lenses appeared pretty inexpensive here and I was thinking about trying one, but could not find a real cheap 645 to K mount. Then the prices rose significantly with the new 645 body.

I might suggest that you may want to consider the old Contax 35mm lens that Zeiss made between 1975 and 2005, when Contax was discontinued. These are lenses built for 35mm, very light weight lenses (at least the primes), with the same standards, and from several posts appear to be somewhat cheaper in Europe. Leitax (in Spain) has conversion mounts that work exceptionally well.Also, here is a thread on some Contax pricing over there....

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-01-2011 at 06:20 PM.
12-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have the 67 M* 300mm ED IF lens and compared it to my 135 format A* 300mm. No difference. And the burden of hauling the large lens around coupled with stopped down metering just seems to be an exercise in novelty to shoot medium format lenses on a smaller camera. But if you don't have that focal length in 135 format or after tilt/shift, why not.
Of course, it's mostly for the novelty of it, it wasn't that I lack 300mm lenses in 135 and P645 format. I guess you can say I bought it in a fit of LBA but the lens was cheap and I was still harbouring some ambition to acquire a P67 body then... Soon, I think I should pass it on to someone who can use it more effectively on his/her P67 body.