12-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Nikon lens on Pentax K-x

Hello from my father i've got these lens:

nikon series E 28mm 1:2.8
nikon series E 50mm 1:1.8
vivintar MC 135mm 1.28

i want to know if:

a- i can use them on the k-x and how much i loose in quality
b-if i can use them what kind of adapter i have to use (and maybe where i can buy it)

thank you

12-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have two options.

1. Make a slight modification to the lens and force fit it to the camera.
2. Buy an optically corrected Nikon F to Pentax K adapter. This will act as a slight tele-converter (1.25x) and cause some loss of quality wide open.

It might be worth it to try and see if you can find someone who would trade those lenses for the Pentax (M-series) equivalent.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-ada...addiction.html
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
uhm the first option seems brutal for me
about the second one do i loose the maf? how much cost the adapter (i suppose i need 1 adapter for each lens, right?)?
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nikon AI F Lens To Pentax PK K Mount Adapter | eBay

The adapter mounts to the camera and then you mount the lens on the adapter.

12-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just need one adapter. it will cause a quality loss but the e lenses weren't spectacular in any case (i had an e for a few months given to me as a gift. Even then people bought the name (early 80's) and my dad gave me one for christmas. lenses were better than the camera was though.

this thread describes the process for Ai lenses pretty well

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/166592-nikon-1...dapted-pk.html

But if I'm not mistaken e lenses are just a budget variant on f mount lenses so they will fit without surgery (though somewhat wobbly as they won't lock in place - Rico mentions a way to make them lock i just can't find it, I'm sure he'll pipe in though. in this case the link for the adapter is not the right one
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
well considering that the pentax M 50mm 1.7 cost around 40euro (50$) and that the 28mm cost less then the nikon one...i prefer to be in high quality immage
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a little more looking the E is the earliest variant on Ai so the adapter may be needed

the other thing is they are pretty plastic construction. the nikkor lenses were where the build and IQ was excellent

but hey they were free, no real loss to try and do the mod since they have pretty limited market value anyway

M lenses are excellent value i have a few. for the 28 the slower m28 f3.5 is the better of the 2 (really sharp) but also costs more the 2.8 is good but the 3.5 is just that much better
M50 1.7 is a really nice lens for very low cost
m100 2.8 is super compact pretty low cost and also a good performer (though Ca can be harsh avoid birds in leafless trees against a white sky I learned that the hard way after slowly sneaking up on a woodpecker .
I haven't tried an m135 I have a K 135 3.5 that is pretty good and quite cheap
12-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've been invoked again. Oh wow. Anyway, you can probably find an optical adapter cheap, and it probably won't ruin the lenses' IQ too much. But the lenses also aren't worth too much, so you might consider the simple mod. I'm not familiar with E-types; if they have the "nub and arc" protrusions on the aperture ring, those can just be dremeled off. Takes about 3 minutes, and they'll force-fit onto a PK mount. To make them more secure on the mount, I use the dremel to cut a slot about 1mm wide and deep and 6mm long for the Pentax locking pin to engage. Haven't lost one yet!

12-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If using an adapter, does the Nikon lens take advantage of the Pentax's in body image stabilization? Also does metering work in manual and aperture preferred? I have a number of really nice Nikkor AIS Manual lenses as I am an immigrant from Nikon.
12-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
If using an adapter, does the Nikon lens take advantage of the Pentax's in body image stabilization? Also does metering work in manual and aperture preferred? I have a number of really nice Nikkor AIS Manual lenses as I am an immigrant from Nikon.
SR works with any lens
Metering will work the same as any non A lens Green button metering in M mode

See

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
SR works with any lens
Metering will work the same as any non A lens Green button metering in M mode
SR: Yes. I can mount anything from a 12mm T2-mount fisheye, to a modded NI or OM lens, to any enlarger lens on extension (tubes and/or bellows), to an 800mm mirror on TCs, and SR works. Can't do that with Nikon or Canon, eh?

Metering: M-mode and Green button are an option but not a necessity, maybe not even desirable. I usually use my modded lenses in Av mode -- actually, any auto setting (Sv, Tv, TAv) defaults to Av. Just set the aperture and shoot!
12-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Your lenses are worth less than the suitable adaptors to fit them to a Pentax camera. It would be easier to sell them and get the equivalent Pentax lenses. The quality of your Nikon lenses is not exactly great for digital use.
The simple answer is: Don't even think about it. Get a NIkon camera instead of the Pentax or get the equivalent Pentax lenses to avoid all the trouble discussed above. 30 year old lenses on a modern camera are not the best solution.
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
30 year old lenses on a modern camera are not the best solution.
In many ways i would have to disagree with this statement. I use older lenses a lot. the manual focus is generally much better on old lenses (non of this short throw stuff). In low light a lot of AF lenses have a bitch locking and i can focus manually faster than the AF in those cases. Optically the top lenses of today will be better most certainly. But some of the old glass is still fantastic and better than much of the entry level stuff and the kit lenses. Are there old lenses not worth getting -- yep for sure i'd say most of the cheap zooms for one. but in a prime there are a lot less dogs.
That being said i agree the nikon e lenses aren't worth getting the adapter for. If you want to have a go at modding them they are cheap candidates to learn on rather than an 85 1.2
Or sell them on and hunt down the m equivalents which are better in every case and can be had cheap, or spend a small amount more and get The A versions.
12-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
30 year old lenses on a modern camera are not the best solution
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
In many ways i would have to disagree with this statement
I have to agree with eddie1960,
Can you find any 50/1.2 AF in K mount? i prefer old m42 55/1.2 for bokeh and low light.