Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Noisy focusing Takumars

Seems to be common with older Takumars -- I've gotten several recently that when turning the focusing ring make a slight scraping sound (sounds like a piece of paper is stuck in the mechanism). It is very slight, but noticeable -- the focusing itself doesn't seem to be affected and the dampening seems about right and is even all the way through the focusing range -- just that annoying little noise.

Can anything *easy* be done that might help? (i.e. that I can do myself without too much danger of wrecking the lens completely)

12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the focus scale ring might be slightly bent. Try loosening the three set screws so the ring turns freely and just let it "float" while you play with the focus. If the sound goes away, that was it. If not, I have no idea.
12-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have opened up a number of Takumars for various reasons. As lenses go they are quite easy to disassemble and put back. I would never attempt any AF lens, but the Taks are fine.

I have found a number of different things loose inside including: small screws, pieces of metal of unknown origin, dried grease, and in one a rather large chunk of black plastic that had no business being in there. That lens was pristine and I suspect the plastic was in from the factory and the owner had problems with it and never really used the lens. Took it out and it works great.

Do a search for takumar disassembly and you should find several pictorial tutorials.

Here are a few rules:
1) Never drink caffeine before opening a lens
2) Find a clear desk with really, really good lighting
3) Make sure you have all of the tools needed before starting
4) The screws are often NOT philips although they look like it, I forget what they are called but a phillips can strip them
5) Take things apart inside a ziplock bag if you can. The little springs and ball bearings don't go as far
6) Have a small camera on hand and document each step, trust me you will be glad you did
7) You will need some specialized tools, something to remove the name plate ring (like a rubber stopper) and a lens spanner or the equivalent
8) Patience is a virtue, look and examine closely before every step
12-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Another guess: The distance scale is coming loose. It's a thin strip of aluminum glued to the base of the focus ring, like this:

The ends are out of view so you can't see them. When the glue fails, the strip straightens back out, and the ends scrape against the lens body. The fix is to remove the trim ring, take off the filter ring, take off the focus ring, reglue the strip, replace the focus ring, adjust infinity focus, replace filter ring and trim ring.

12-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The ends are out of view so you can't see them. When the glue fails, the strip straightens back out, and the ends scrape against the lens body. The fix is to remove the trim ring, take off the filter ring, take off the focus ring, reglue the strip, replace the focus ring, adjust infinity focus, replace filter ring and trim ring.
Hmmm, I think you might be onto something there, at least with one of them. I'll try that.
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I know I have posts about the same repair in the past, that's why I have the picture. It is pretty straightforward once you get the trim ring off. Ask me for more detail if you want.

I think the snow has stopped!