Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: which macro lens you would keep?
Vivitar S1 90mm 538.46%
Sigma 70 macro 215.38%
keep both 430.77%
sell both 215.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
which macro to keep? Sigma 70 versus Vivitar S1 90.

I started the poll regarding which macro you tend to keep if given the choice. it would be nice to state the reasons why they prefer one over the other.

12-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you sure 3 macro lenses are too much? It seems logical to remove from the set the one in the middle.
12-02-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have several macros and still think they are not enough
M50/4, TamronSP90/2.5, TamronAF90/2.8, SigmaAF105/2.8, Fujinon55/3.5, Olympus50/3.5
and Tamron adaptall2 60-300 that have amazing macro ability and close focus (1:1.55)
12-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I prefer the 100mm focal length for macro, because it can also serve for a short tele. Because of that, it needs to be AF. So none of the above

12-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funnily enough, while I've had the Sigma 70 for years, I just picked up the Vivitar S1 yesterday off craigslist. So I don't have much experience with the VivS1 yet, but I intend to keep both -- for one thing, the FLs are different enough to justify both to use as general-purpose lenses, especially for portraiture. I like the extra working distance of the Viv for 1:1 shots, but then I like the convenience of the Sigma for not requiring an adapter to shoot 1:1. My Viv is plain P/K mount (no A contacts), another small inconvenience.

Focus ring for both lenses turns the opposite direction from Pentax.
12-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Funnily enough, while I've had the Sigma 70 for years, I just picked up the Vivitar S1 yesterday off craigslist. So I don't have much experience with the VivS1 yet, but I intend to keep both -- for one thing, the FLs are different enough to justify both to use as general-purpose lenses, especially for portraiture. I like the extra working distance of the Viv for 1:1 shots, but then I like the convenience of the Sigma for not requiring an adapter to shoot 1:1. My Viv is plain P/K mount (no A contacts), another small inconvenience.

Focus ring for both lenses turns the opposite direction from Pentax.
amongst all the differences between the Sigma 70 and Vivitar, IQ and character rendering are the most difficult to quantify and put myself in a big dilemma. the Sigma is slightly sharper, very contrasty, more saturated colors, very good to excellent bokeh (scene dependent) while the Vivitar has a more subtle and neutral colors and consistently great bokeh. personally, the Sigma is a juiced up macro and the Vivitar is a classic macro.
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I like the extra working distance of the Viv for 1:1 shots, but then I like the convenience of the Sigma for not requiring an adapter to shoot 1:1
This brings up a question for Pentaxor - which Viv'ee 90 are you talking here as there is two of them; the first being the "Bokina" one (which requires the adapter to go 1:1) or the second being the dedicated 1:1?

12-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sell both and get the DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR... great optics, rounded aperture blades, quick shift, excellent manual focus feel, great build quality, pretty compact and not too heavy.
12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
This brings up a question for Pentaxor - which Viv'ee 90 are you talking here as there is two of them; the first being the "Bokina" one (which requires the adapter to go 1:1) or the second being the dedicated 1:1?
I have the one with the adapter. the second one has an aperture speed of f2.8 I believe and does not have a Series 1 ID if I'm not mistaken. for macro, it is not really a problem for having a separate adapter. as I said, the toughest parameter to quantify is IQ and rendering since both are excellent performers yet differ from each other.
12-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sell both and get the DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR... great optics, rounded aperture blades, quick shift, excellent manual focus feel, great build quality, pretty compact and not too heavy.
you might have given me an idea but it is really a tough one since I really loved these two lenses (wish I could afford to keep them), I might just go that road on selling both these great lenses. but I'm not going to buy the WR since I just sold my 100mm. possibly I'll get the Sigma 150 in another mount (too bad Pentax doesn't have it). I'll be looking for the old 150mm in Nikon mount since I didn't like what I'm seeing with the new OS version (bokeh looks very nervous). the 150mm would be very beneficial for long shots and bugs, but I'm worried about losing close focus shots on certain instances brought about by the added focal length. it's really a tough decision. if only I could keep all of them, and purchase a 150mm alongside, that would be very nice.
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I have the one with the adapter. the second one has an aperture speed of f2.8
I originally chose the Vivitar not knowing which one you had - it is no question now which one to keep, most people with the "Bokina" will tell you that you would have to pry it from their cold dead hands to get it from them. I am not familiar with the Sigma, I do know however it is pretty hard to compare any macro to the "Great Bokina"...
12-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I originally chose the Vivitar not knowing which one you had - it is no question now which one to keep, most people with the "Bokina" will tell you that you would have to pry it from their cold dead hands to get it from them. I am not familiar with the Sigma, I do know however it is pretty hard to compare any macro to the "Great Bokina"...
I'll be doing some macro tomorrow and see what I would miss from the two macros if ever I sell either or both lens. if I ever I get the 150mm, 3 lenses and an AF TC will be on the chopping block.
12-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is what a Bokina does >>>

and the Sigma >>>

12-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, here is a shot from my Viv'ee 105 macro and I am told that the "Bokina" is sharper and renders better (this one was straight from camera and converted to jpeg in LR, no sharpening or anything modified):

12-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I do not have the Sigma 70, but I have a hard time imagining a lens sharper and more contrasty than my Tokina 90/2.5, which I believe is the same lens as yours. That isn't a lens I would easily give up, and in fact would be one of the last to go.