Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Gimmi a signal

Well, although I have some idea what I want to see from Pentax, I would like to avoid a principal discussion on WE NEED a fullframe camera, new lenses, yadiyadiya.
What would really be nice would be a signal from Pentax telling the users what to expect next. All digital cameras are APS format. All new lens designs are basically APS-C lenses and some simple workovers of FA lenses. People are craving for (fullframe) high speed lenses, because the 31FA is not a wide angle anymore on APS-C. The 55 SDM still has to live up to the legacy of 1.4/85 mm lenses that in turn sell well above new prices on ebay. The same holds for longer telephoto lenses not to say extenders for such lenses.
For a full frame system, one would expect several uptated FA lenses. If Pentax wants to keep APS-C as sensor size for the time being, well where are the longer and larger aperture lenses plus extender as well as a nice wide aperture wide angle. Do I need to look for older fullframe lenses for a APS-C camera system?
All the nice new features like weather sealing, SDM, new coatings, are only available in a limited number of APS-C lenses. Looking for some special lenses one has to look for older FA lens designs like the 1.4/85, 80-200, 200M, 300/2.8, etc. Should I look for a used FA 300/2.8 or wait for a APS-C solution or even a new full frame line. Obviously Pentax was sold to Ricoh recently and we hear about all kinds of trouble in the supply chain of several manufaterers. Still it would be nice to get a signal somehow. No new product for X-mas season from Pentax. At the moment I am only buying FA lenses and lenses that I can easily sell in case something unexpected happens. What is next?

12-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Well, although I have some idea what I want to see from Pentax, I would like to avoid a principal discussion on WE NEED a fullframe camera, new lenses, yadiyadiya.
What would really be nice would be a signal from Pentax telling the users what to expect next. All digital cameras are APS format. All new lens designs are basically APS-C lenses and some simple workovers of FA lenses. People are craving for (fullframe) high speed lenses, because the 31FA is not a wide angle anymore on APS-C. The 55 SDM still has to live up to the legacy of 1.4/85 mm lenses that in turn sell well above new prices on ebay. The same holds for longer telephoto lenses not to say extenders for such lenses.
For a full frame system, one would expect several uptated FA lenses. If Pentax wants to keep APS-C as sensor size for the time being, well where are the longer and larger aperture lenses plus extender as well as a nice wide aperture wide angle. Do I need to look for older fullframe lenses for a APS-C camera system?
All the nice new features like weather sealing, SDM, new coatings, are only available in a limited number of APS-C lenses. Looking for some special lenses one has to look for older FA lens designs like the 1.4/85, 80-200, 200M, 300/2.8, etc. Should I look for a used FA 300/2.8 or wait for a APS-C solution or even a new full frame line. Obviously Pentax was sold to Ricoh recently and we hear about all kinds of trouble in the supply chain of several manufaterers. Still it would be nice to get a signal somehow. No new product for X-mas season from Pentax. At the moment I am only buying FA lenses and lenses that I can easily sell in case something unexpected happens. What is next?
I am not sure how you will take this, but you , and all the other full frame people must be deaf or something.

Pentax has repeatidly stated that they are solely comitted to the ASP-C sensor, and quite honestly, what they need to do is just develop some more primes, including a 10mm wide angle, to get back to where they were in terms of field of view on film.

Personally, reqorking the FA lenses would be a waste of time effort and money, as optical glass technology has advanced to the point that while most FA lenses may be very nice, they are too expensive and outdated technically, so why bother.
12-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There's a nice discussion on Lenstip:
Pentax smc DA 21 mm f/3.2 AL Limited review - Summary - Lenstip.com
(or the optyczne equivalent if you prefer it in Polish),
about why it may be seen as an advantage
that Pentax only does APS-C in "35mm" digital.

Quick summary: It means they take APS-C seriously
by developing good lenses for that format.
12-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Good question Zapp. I would like to have some indication of what we can expect in the future from Ricoh

12-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GTP17 Quote
Good question Zapp. I would like to have some indication of what we can expect in the future from Ricoh
While we would all like to see some indication of what is coming next, I hate the continual "when will Pentax announce full frame" that seems to go along with it
12-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Oog
Forum Member

Over on Canon Rumors dot com there is mulling over whether Canon should go into medium format, either by buying up a company or going at it themselves....how is that different? (Oh ya, it's the so called Canon company types who are saying this, compared to it's just us Pentaxian users saying "Pentax go FF!!!!"
12-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am not sure how you will take this, but you , and all the other full frame people must be deaf or something.

Pentax has repeatidly stated that they are solely comitted to the ASP-C sensor, and quite honestly, what they need to do is just develop some more primes, including a 10mm wide angle, to get back to where they were in terms of field of view on film.

Personally, reqorking the FA lenses would be a waste of time effort and money, as optical glass technology has advanced to the point that while most FA lenses may be very nice, they are too expensive and outdated technically, so why bother.
This is not a simple FF discussion. If Pentax is committed to APS-C - and I agree that APS-C will be alive for a long time with or withou a FF option - where are the telephoto lenses that Pentax used to make during K, M, A, F, FA days?, where are the TCs for it, where are large aperture primes. In DA land the only large aperture prime is the 55mm lens which did not excel over outdated FA designs. Probably Pentax did not developt too many things preparing the buyout by Ricoh as well as the trouble in Asia at the moment. Something will have to happen next year. Ricoh need to show what it wants out of Pentax and Pentax needs some news other than a toy camera to keep the APS-C system running. I will do my best and invest in the DA 300.
In wide angle land, large aperture wide angles are missing, something in addition to pancake designs.

If Pentax is dedicated to APS-C why did they present the D-FA 100 macro WR. At the moment they make neither FA nor DA users happy.

And btw I did not assume that somebody would answer any of my questions. Only Pentax/Ricoh can do that.

Last edited by zapp; 12-04-2011 at 07:53 AM.