Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Pentax-A lenses - the essence of auto aperture

Hello.

Is putting A mode on the aperture ring the same as if I connected the flattened pin on the body to the M (or K or whatever manual) lens mount? I did so with my Revuenon 50mm 1.4 and the body recognized it as a lens with the aperture range from 1.2 to 22.

What is it all about then? Connecting just another pin to the lens and that's it? Is there any electronics in the A lens?.

12-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some subtle differences

The A lenses have a linear change of aperture F Stops with movement of the lever, older lenses are generally area is linear, so the square of aperture. As a result while shortin the pin gives some appearance of control exposure is all over the place

Second the other pins code the max and min apertures so the camera can scale the movement properly.

The short answer is it can be made to "work" but it does so poorly

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, body, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, pentax-a lenses, pin, slr lens