Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma pricing on new 17-50

I was just reading over on dpr about Sigma's new 17-50 without OS for Sony and Pentax in-body systems. The catch is the lenses will be the same price as the OS lenses—no discount for not getting all the whizzy whirry things that make OS lenses work. If in-lens stabilization is better than in-body stabilization, as some say, then there's no savings for choosing the less effective option. On the other hand it could be argued that there's less to go wrong with a non-OS lens, but shouldn't less hardware result in a lower price? This is like buying a club-spec Porsche, where a premium is paid in order to have equipment deleted.

12-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did they do the same thing with the 17-70 HSM? I just recieved mine about a week ago and it DOES have OS.
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be several things:

Pentax buyers are a much smaller group to them, so decreasing the price wouldn't bring in that many buyers anyways.
Canikon users would get annoyed that we get something cheaper than them
Sigma is secretly evil
12-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every new Sigma lens is going to eventually feature OS, even though the feature is sort of redundant for Pentax cameras. Might as well get the new one if you ask me, I don't think they're upping the prices or anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Every new Sigma lens is going to eventually feature OS, even though the feature is sort of redundant for Pentax cameras. Might as well get the new one if you ask me, I don't think they're upping the prices or anything.
I had hear this rumor too, that they would be updating all their old non-OS designs, but this news comes after that announcement. I think they're just doing it to save money, but it's kind of a crummy thing to do. That and the fact that Nikon may end up getting a cut of every OS lens sold by Sigma if they win their lawsuit.

But what interests me about this lens is the FLD glass. I am not overly impressed with the current options for replacing the kit 18-55 lens, but I have the Sigma 8-16 which uses FLD elements and it is razor sharp. If this new lens is a sharp as the 8-16, it's going to blow the DA* 16-50 out of the water in terms of IQ.
12-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think they're upping the prices or anything.
Well, the latest Bigma was a whole lot more than the old one, no?