Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Ed in GA

FA 50mm F1/4 & Don't shoot the Piano PLayer

It appears.... That Beach Camera once again has this lense in stock.

If this has already been posted, please don't shoot me.

12-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the lens from beach -- it took three days to arrive, and gave them a great reseller rating. $150 after rebate for such a fine lens is a great deal.

I have some sample photographs in the gallery. Check them out!
12-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
I got the lens from beach -- it took three days to arrive, and gave them a great reseller rating. $150 after rebate for such a fine lens is a great deal.

I have some sample photographs in the gallery. Check them out!
I got mine on Wednesday afternoon. I will also write a positive resellers review for Beach.

I haven't had an opportunity to do much shooting with mine yet. The Christmas tree at my office and my Secretary.

I don't have a Cat or Rabbit at my house and the two Foxes who live here won't cooperate with me.

So, I'll try for, at least, a couple of shots over the weekend and will post them accordingly.
12-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps there should be a 50mm/1.4 thread that just gets bumped every time it comes in stock somewhere. Discussions about the lens, questions, reviews, etc. should still have their own threads, but it gets tiring to see "in stock" notices all the time. Just a thought (sorry if it's a bit cranky).

12-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Perhaps there should be a 50mm/1.4 thread that just gets bumped every time it comes in stock somewhere. Discussions about the lens, questions, reviews, etc. should still have their own threads, but it gets tiring to see "in stock" notices all the time. Just a thought (sorry if it's a bit cranky).

Well, you could be right. However...........
12-23-2006, 05:43 AM   #6

but it gets tiring to see "in stock" notices all the time. Just a thought (sorry if it's a bit cranky).
Are there THAT many "50mm 1.4 in stock" threads on here? I've only noticed two or three in the last week or so, one about beach and one or two about bhphotovideo. Not enough to be annoying IMO but a generic thread (without the name of the retailer in the heading) that gets bumped is a good idea except there's always going to be someone that comes on here not knowing "the rule" and is going to post a new thread.

Thanks EddyinGa for posting this, I know there are plenty of people looking for this lens and beachcamera has the best price by far (I payed $40 more for mine, never thought to check beach and that's who I buy my cameras from!! ).

Last edited by JeanneB; 12-23-2006 at 05:48 AM.
12-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No, but there are two here, in addition to the six or more on DPR. If I was someone who wanted the lens, I would have set up my own email notification with B&H or otherwise, and gotten one and be done with it.

I'll be skipping any threads I think might be an 'in stock' notice from this point, but its just a suggestion.

12-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
Ed in GA

Actually.

When you start a new thread, it shows up on the Home page as a new thread and anyone just coming to the site will see it.

That is, in fact, how I found out that Beach Camera had some of the 50mm f1.4 lenses in stock.

As far as a generic thread is concerned. The old saying of "Out of sight, out of mind." would certainly apply.

So, as the varying retailers get certain "Hard to find" items in stock, I will, and I hope others do, continue to post that those items are now available at XXX store.

If this bothers you? I'm sorry. But, I think others may well like the idea of these posts.

At any rate, you have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday Season and a great New Year.

Ed

12-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The front page shows a total of seven new threads, at least to my viewing, and these change fairly frequently. A person just randomly visiting the site could very easily miss your '50mm' thread.

However, I always click to see ALL of the posts that have been made since I last was at the forums. (This includes bumped threads, say, including the one I proposed.) This is why I argue that it isn't necessary to post a brand spankin' new thread every 3-5 days when a popular lens pops into stock. The frequent new threads that say the same darn thing (switch B&H for Beach, etc.) are the reason I argue for the single thread. (And yes, I'd really like a single thread, so I can ignore it--you figured me out! )

But whatever, Ed. Post your threads. I'm not going to sit her and argue with you about them anymore. Happy holidays.
12-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
FA 50 1.4 at KEH

KEH has just listed a used FA 50 1.4 rated as EX+ in stock for 179$US. I orederd my FA*28-70 from them 3 years ago and have been pleased with its performance and the price. www.keh.com

Happy Holidays.
12-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why get a used 50mm 1.4 when you can get a new one with warranty for less?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
KEH has just listed a used FA 50 1.4 rated as EX+ in stock for 179$US. I orederd my FA*28-70 from them 3 years ago and have been pleased with its performance and the price. CookiesInstructions

Happy Holidays.
12-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
None...if you can find a new one!
And in checking today, it appears it has already sold! Just trying to help folks looking for the lens! Have a happy holiday.

Last edited by Wethphotography; 12-24-2006 at 12:33 PM.
12-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

While looking around for this lense (since there has been a lot of talk about this lense ) I finally found it listed under the 35mm lenses. So my total newbie question, how does this lense compare to the "digital" lenses? The price is awesome compared to the Sigma 30mm f1.8 but what about performance? TIA,

Dan
12-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #14

In stock at Adorama

While looking for telephotos at Adorama I saw that they have these in stock @ $170 after rebate. Not quite what Beach had them for, but not too much more either. I know many here are looking for this particular lens so I thought I'd share the info and link. 20817 Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Standard Auto Focus Lens

Edit: I just looked back at the link, and it's now showing as out of stock. I dunno know if it was a glitch earlier or what, but sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited by ugaarguy; 12-25-2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: More Info
12-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I think some in other countries (other then the US) might be buying these, as the rebate from what I remember was only good for US sales.