Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
If it were me, I'd get the lens ! I too have a 5 year old K10D, and I'm waiting to see what the K3 will offer (hopefully the new Sony 24Mpix sensor, which looks extremely good) so I may be running my K10D for another 1-2 years. I may still go for the K5, but it's not like my K10D cannot take pictures.
I see this attitude quite often ... we'll wait and see what the K3, K1 whatever, looks like. And my answer is always the same :

1. Why ? That means another 1-2 years without the incredible advantages of a K5 over all those previous Pentax cameras and 1-2 years of missing shots that the K5 would have captured.
2. The new K3, K1 or whatever when it comes out will be US$2,000 or thereabouts (unless it is FF and then it will be US$2,500-3,000) so you are waiting 1-2 years to pay double what the K5 can be had for today ?
3. What is it exactly that the K5 is so lacking in that you need to wait for the next iteration ?

Finally, life is just too short... who knows what is going to happen in the next 2 years, get the K5 and start enjoying it now (assuming that buying it will not impact your financial security, or that of your family, in any way).

12-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
1. Why ? That means another 1-2 years without the incredible advantages of a K5 over all those previous Pentax cameras and 1-2 years of missing shots that the K5 would have captured.
My K10D still captures, so I'm not missing any shots.

3. What is it exactly that the K5 is so lacking in that you need to wait for the next iteration ?
First it's lacking the FA 43 , which is going to be the OP's biggest problem if they choose that route. Second, it's lacking the K10D's 100 ISO magic that no camera since can compare with. Third, the K5 is lacking FF.
12-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
My K10D still captures, so I'm not missing any shots.

First it's lacking the FA 43 , which is going to be the OP's biggest problem if they choose that route. Second, it's lacking the K10D's 100 ISO magic that no camera since can compare with. Third, the K5 is lacking FF.
Actually it was meant as a generic answer to that statement rather than appearing to target you specifically so apologies for any misunderstanding there (except for #3).

Of course the K10D is a very highly rated camera for it's wonderful CCD however it is now 3 generations behind the K5 so to say 'you' (pl.) don't miss any shots (tenet : depends on your type of photography of course) just because it is a fine camera is a fallacy. There are many situations where the K5 can get 'you' (pl.) a shot that the K10D just can't. Don't need to list them here but I'm sure just a quick comparison of the specs would highlight those areas. BTW the K5's 80 ISO is wonderful too (with the benefit of an added 10MP of resolution).
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Frogfish to get the k-5 before getting the FA 43mm, since I have all of them... k10D, 43mm, k-7 and k-5 . You will want to use iso80 and iso12800 in many situations when the k10D and k-7 simply can not do....

12-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually it was meant as a generic answer to that statement rather than appearing to target you specifically so apologies for any misunderstanding there (except for #3).
I know, no apology necessary. I was just having some fun. The K5 is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessors so I agree with all your points. And you are exactly right, my camera fits my shooting style so I don't need to upgrade at this point, but I also understand others' styles may require different equipment. Hope I didn't offend.
12-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I know, no apology necessary. I was just having some fun. The K5 is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessors so I agree with all your points. And you are exactly right, my camera fits my shooting style so I don't need to upgrade at this point, but I also understand others' styles may require different equipment. Hope I didn't offend.
Certainly not me !! You have some valid points that should me made as they may apply to some people reading this thread !
12-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #37
Veteran Member

ObTopic: I'll expand a little on my original brief response. The K10D is reputedly a fine camera, within its limits: low ISO and slow AF. I am very very happy with my K20D, the premier Pentax when I bought it 3.5 years ago (immediately before Hoya bought Pentax). The K5 seems to be far ahead of my K20D. If I were buying a camera right now, the K5 would be *IT*. I expect my K20D to keep my happy at least another 1.5 years -- and I won't have cash for another before then anyway. So, a 5-year plan.

I'd expect a K5 or any newer model to keep me going for 4-5 years. My previous main camera (an advanced P&S, the 5mpx Sony DSC-V1) kept me happy for about 5 years and I still use it constantly. (My third, actually; I wore out the first two.) And my previous main cameras came about 5 years before that. So I have a rhythm going: Technology advances enough for me to get the next best thang every 5 years or so.

I can't afford constant upgrades. I want cams that function forever, but that are outclassed slowly enough for my constrained budget. So I get the best possible and hang on.
12-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #38

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
haha, page 1, clear consenus, page 2 a bit of waivering, page 3 - complete disagreement : )

This is both the stressful part and fun part of choosing equipment.

Thanks for all the imputs guys, you all make great points for both.

One thing is clear, Pentax makes some good equipment.