Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had both lenses.

As far as IQ, I can't really tell the difference between the two - both razor sharp.

Build quality - a bit better with the Pentax - just feels good in your hands!

I did like the warranty on the Tamron - 6 years vs. 1 year

The deal breaker for me: with the Tamron, to shift from auto focus to manual focus required two moves - you had to slide the clutch mechanism on the lens and switch the camera to manual focus. The Pentax quick-shift feature of leaving everything in auto-focus and just adjusting your focus manually if needed is the best. I ended up selling/trading off my Tamron and bought the Pentax WR and haven't looked back.

12-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
Forum Member

You must handle these before making your choice. I had convinced myself that Pentax was the way to go, but eventually tried the Pentax, not having the focus limiter is a deal breaker when using it as a telephoto lens...makes no odds in macro as manual focus is the way to go.
Nigel
12-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have found the focus limiter to be very useful. Switching between manual and autofocus does take two steps, it is not hard to do and very quick.

I use mine more as a telephoto than a macro. It does very well for both.
12-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've had both lenses.

The deal breaker for me: with the Tamron, to shift from auto focus to manual focus required two moves - you had to slide the clutch mechanism on the lens and switch the camera to manual focus.
Erm, no. Leave the AF/MF clutch on the lens in the MF position (blue ring visible). Focus mode is then entirely controlled by the AF/MF switch on the camera body, although the focus ring does then turn when you autofocus. And of course, you can disengage the AF motor by pressing the lens release button.

Focus limiter on the Tamron is very useful - most of the focus throw is for focusing distances between 40cm and 29cm.

Filter size on the Tamron is 55mm - it may well be the only one you own with that thread size. Pentax is 49mm which means you can share filters with other Pentax prime lenses.

The lack of an aperture ring on the Pentax means that you can't increase magnification beyond 1:1 using extension tubes; that may or may not be important to you.

The Pentax lens definitely wins in terms of aesthetics - it is a beautiful piece of engineering. And rather more portable.

I recently bought the Tamron 90mm since the bang for the buck is pretty good. That said I want the Pentax lens.

12-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Focus limiter is nice and all, but it depends on the lens. The Tamron wasn't that slow in focusing (even going from infinity and back). I think the Pentax is slower, so maybe a focus limiter is important in that aspect.
12-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trickletreat Quote
You must handle these before making your choice.
Nigel
You may be right, but I don't know if a few minutes at B&H with each lens will be sufficient. It can take time and use in the field to adapt to the way equipment works. Some people seem to get along fine using the Pentax's quick shift focusing as an alternative to the Tamron's focus limiter. Others have had the opposite experience.

The simplest option may be to just buy the Pentax and sell it later if it does not work for me. I'd risk losing some money, but that's about it. I did check cameralensrentals, but they do not have either lens.

Jeff
12-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #22

3. How much of an issue is the lack of a focus limiter in the Pentax for general, non-macro photography. Is using the quick shift focusing to get approximate focus before auto focusing a convenient and effective technique?

Yes, it is. Otherwise the focus is hunting a lot. I donīt need the limiter, but you have to think on pre focussing after makro-seccion.
12-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've had the Tamron 90mm macro lens, both the DI and non-DI version. To be honest, I'd take the Pentax 100WR any day if given the choice.

12-10-2011, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I concur with Frank. I've owned many macro lenses and the Pentax DFA 100mm WR is the one to keep. Put simply, the Tamron is cheap. Perhaps because of that their build quality isn't even close to the Pentax 100 WR. Personally, the focus limiter is one of the least used features on those macro lenses that I had which had one, but I find Quick Shift far, far more useful, and it helps when the DFA 100mm WR has such a buttery focus ring. The bokeh for the DFA 100mm WR is awesome as is the colour rendition.

With Quick Shift on the DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR, it's dead easy to get shots like these (all uncropped):

Last edited by creampuff; 12-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.
12-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Personally, the focus limiter is one of the least used features on those macro lenses that I had which had one, but I find Quick Shift far, far more useful, and it helps when the DFA 100mm WR has such a buttery focus ring. The bokeh for the DFA 100mm WR is awesome as is the colour rendition.

With Quick Shift on the DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR, it's dead easy to get shots like these (all uncropped):
Dennis, not a criticism of those very nice shots, but to be perfectly honest any 1:1 or even 1:2 macro, or long range lens (*200 / *300 etc), or even a WA with close focus like the 16-50, even the Tamron 70-300, could have taken those shots which are less macro and more close focus.

If the OP wants to take 'real' (1:1 or higher) macro shots then he needs to consider other factors, and if you want to put tubes & bellows or other means of increasing the magnification ...... well you can't do that with the DFA 100 because of the lack of an aperture ring.
12-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Dennis, not a criticism of those very nice shots, but to be perfectly honest any 1:1 or even 1:2 macro, or long range lens (*200 / *300 etc), or even a WA with close focus like the 16-50, even the Tamron 70-300, could have taken those shots which are less macro and more close focus.

If the OP wants to take 'real' (1:1 or higher) macro shots then he needs to consider other factors, and if you want to put tubes & bellows or other means of increasing the magnification ...... well you can't do that with the DFA 100 because of the lack of an aperture ring.
Don't know what you'd define as macro but the above shots are certainly not close focus to my understanding as they were definitely shot between 1:1 and 1:2 magnification. I can assure you having shot plenty of macro images to know that using a long tele lens or a close focus wideangle will not give the same perspective, look, contrast or sharpness when compared to a dedicated macro lens. BTW, I've owned the Tamron 70-300mm before, and the 1:2 macro feature is a nice joke.

I do agree the lack of an aperture ring does limit shooting at greater than 1:1 magnification but it seems even Tamron is doing away with aperture rings on some camera mounts.

Practically speaking, how many actually shoot beyond lifesize? The challenges of shooting beyond 1:1 are many (lighting, working distance, camera stability, subject matter, exposure determination, focus and framing) to name a few. If one is really serious at shooting beyond 1:1 all the time, I'd recommend Canon with their excellent MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro... at least until Pentax makes a similar lens.
12-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Don't know what you'd define as macro but the above shots are certainly not close focus to my understanding as they were definitely shot between 1:1 and 1:2 magnification. I can assure you having shot plenty of macro images to know that using a long tele lens or a close focus wideangle will not give the same perspective, look, contrast or sharpness when compared to a dedicated macro lens. BTW, I've owned the Tamron 70-300mm before, and the 1:2 macro feature is a nice joke.

I do agree the lack of an aperture ring does limit shooting at greater than 1:1 magnification but it seems even Tamron is doing away with aperture rings on some camera mounts.

Practically speaking, how many actually shoot beyond lifesize? The challenges of shooting beyond 1:1 are many (lighting, working distance, camera stability, subject matter, exposure determination, focus and framing) to name a few. If one is really serious at shooting beyond 1:1 all the time, I'd recommend Canon with their excellent MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro... at least until Pentax makes a similar lens.
Take a look at my website below and you'll know what I define as macro (the shot on the homepage is around 2:1). Your shots above are close focus and nowhere near 1:1. And the point I was making was not whether a macro lens will give the same perspective, look, contrast or sharpness as that of a long lens, close focus WA or the Tamron 70-300 (you make think it a joke but I had it for a while a couple of years ago and it gives avery decent 1:2, which is no joke) but that they can give you shots very similar to those you posted .. but nothing close to real 1:1.

Lots of people actually shoot at 1:1 and many try to shoot beyond it (just peruse a few pages of PF's own Post Your Photos and you'll find a few I'm sure) As for Tamron doing away with aperture rings (as Pentax have with some lenses) - not on the 90 di macro, which is what we are discussing, macro lenses.

Why suggest the MPE-65 for Pentax shooters ? You can get 2:1 - 5:1 for much less than a new Canon camera and MPE-65 (which is a bloody expensive, but superb though restricted lens - it can not be used beyond macro distances), bellows, reversed lenses and tubes will get you there. I have a Pentax microscope adapter https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/99051-your-latest-acquisitio...ml#post1735292and three Zeiss objectives (x2.5, x10 and x40) on the way for a total cost of US$200.
02-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It is possible to get up to 2:1 using teleconverters. Besides, you are right.

Cheers - Klaus