Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #31
Pentaxian

I like the DA70, its built great, sharp and focuses relatively quick...but I find that I just don't use it much. It's an odd focal length on crop sensor cameras. Too short for most telephoto applications, too long for indoor use.

12-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was hopeful before this lens (Samyang) came out. But taking account that I need to modify the mount to step-down type, picking the K85/1.8 is the better choice. I shoot mostly this focal, and need some thing i can depend on. Still step-down type is very good value for money.

Last edited by hoanpham; 12-06-2011 at 01:41 PM.
12-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #33
Site Supporter

To me 70mm (105mm equivalent) is the ideal Portrait FL. 85mm (127mm equivalent) is near the upper range (trad. 135mm max) on APS-C. That said, the 85 makes a great low light short telephoto lens, which is hard to beat for public shows. IQ wise, I don't think it is significant enought to prefer one lens over the other.
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
85mm on 35mm film is a head-and-shoulders focal length. On digital, it becomes equivalent to, what?, 128mm which isn't really much of a muchness. So you're proposing trading a very highly regarded digital lens for a hard-to-focus manual lens (if you're not going to use it wide open then there really isn't any point). If you like the focal length, the Tamron 90mm is equivalent to a focal length of 135mm (a classic length). The high ISO performance of the current DSLRs will more than make up the stop of aperture and you get AF and macro into the bargain.

12-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only thing that crossed my mind: "Are you nuts?"

So I wouldn't do this. If you can afford to buy the K then do it and see later if you want to loose the DA.
12-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I was hopeful before this lens (Samyang) came out. But taking account that I need to modify the mount to step-down type, picking the K85/1.8 is the better choice. I shoot mostly this focal, and need some thing i can depend on. Still step-down type is very good value for money.
what do you mean modify the mount to step down type? the samyang comes in KA mount, and allows full exposure mode and flash use. Not sure where this comment comes from unless it is from the origonal cannon mount lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
To me 70mm (105mm equivalent) is the ideal Portrait FL. 85mm (127mm equivalent) is near the upper range (trad. 135mm max) on APS-C. That said, the 85 makes a great low light short telephoto lens, which is hard to beat for public shows. IQ wise, I don't think it is significant enought to prefer one lens over the other.
this has always been a debatable issue, i.e. optimum portrait lens FL. the 70 is in no where mans land, both on film and digital. for me, indoor studio is 50 and below, but ouotdoors the 70 is a little short, the 85, 105 and 135 mm focal lengths work very nicely. I also like the 85 for random street shots, it is tele enough that you are not right in someone's face, but short enough that generally other pedestrian traffic is not in the way.

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
85mm on 35mm film is a head-and-shoulders focal length. On digital, it becomes equivalent to, what?, 128mm which isn't really much of a muchness. So you're proposing trading a very highly regarded digital lens for a hard-to-focus manual lens (if you're not going to use it wide open then there really isn't any point). If you like the focal length, the Tamron 90mm is equivalent to a focal length of 135mm (a classic length). The high ISO performance of the current DSLRs will more than make up the stop of aperture and you get AF and macro into the bargain.
I disagree, the 85 is the new 135mm lens. In that respect on digital, it should be a real seller, Just look back at how many 135mm lenses pentax made in the past for a medium telephoto / outdoor portrait lens. I would think an 85 would be a great seller, they sold a lot more 135mm's than 105mm's
12-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what do you mean modify the mount to step down type?
I mean stop down like a Takumar (1), and lose the KA advantage, just to get correct focus at slower aperture, by removing the aperture pin/lever. I shot manual/manual flash.
Or, use LV to manual focus, either optical or LCD (2). I am not used to LV, and this procedure will affect my shoting process.
Or, (3) I have to memorize the distance to subject and the back focus distance at a f-stop, say f2 and move the camera a bit forward.

(1) work best for me, then (3) for very few lenses I have.
Consider 300usd for a 85/1.4, I can live with a step down lens ;-)
12-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I like the DA70, its built great, sharp and focuses relatively quick...but I find that I just don't use it much. It's an odd focal length on crop sensor cameras. Too short for most telephoto applications, too long for indoor use.
Well DA70 is great for street photography, but I also find it sometimes too short. I used to have Sonnar 85/2.8 and that was great, since I switched to FA77 then DA70. DA70 is similar to Sonnar, great colours and very sharp, but busy bokeh. But still a respectable lens.
I think I will purchase K85 and keep DA, then use them both and eventually decide if I will sell one or not...

12-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Well DA70 is great for street photography, but I also find it sometimes too short. I used to have Sonnar 85/2.8 and that was great, since I switched to FA77 then DA70. DA70 is similar to Sonnar, great colours and very sharp, but busy bokeh. But still a respectable lens.
I think I will purchase K85 and keep DA, then use them both and eventually decide if I will sell one or not...
I think its a good idea to keep the DA first.
I have the M85 and FA85, 28-75/2. tried out a DA70.
the 70 did not give as much DOF control as 85mms, and its shallow dof effect was mainly effective for small objects or head and shoulders portraits.
But vs the M85, it does have AF, which can be important, depending on needs
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
Veteran Member

One of my next lens's is the M85 to get into this focal length and see how it works for me. But first I should use my tak105 more. Ideally I'll end up with a FA77 but...
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #41
Site Supporter

The DA70 is a great travel lens as well. Paired with the newer Pentax small bodies, it is super portable and inconspicuous. Because it is so tiny and so amazingly sharp, it is also great for street shooting or a tele perspective on landscapes. I also own the FA77, and wouldn't give either up. I've wondered about a fast 85, but even if I went that way, I'd keep the DA70.
12-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think its a good idea to keep the DA first.
I have the M85 and FA85, 28-75/2. tried out a DA70.
the 70 did not give as much DOF control as 85mms, and its shallow dof effect was mainly effective for small objects or head and shoulders portraits.
But vs the M85, it does have AF, which can be important, depending on needs
I just did exactly that.....I got my K85/1.8 today and kept DA70 as well. Since it was nice winter 18% GREY sky out today, I just took the lens out for couple of test pictures:
Here are some first observations:
First of all K85/1.8 feels nice, it is neither compact nor big, just right size for K-5, nicely balanced. Its build quality is great, maybe even tighter than DA70 but it doesn't have the exclusive feeling that Limited lens carries. K85/1.8 has a huge focusing throw, about 270 degrees, but focusing is quite easy - definitely easier than was focusing with K55, A50 or K35 and even DA70 in manual focus. Lens seems to be quite sharp from f2.8, renders pleasant colours and seems to render transition from light to shadows more subtly than modern lenses. Bokeh is superb, very smooth.

thank you all for your advices and see you in next year....all the best, by the way

Edit: I did some pixelpeep testing - taking photos of banknote close to minimal focus distance with both DA70 and K85, in controlled lighting, camera on tripod and mirror locked up. The test reveal that K85 is marginally sharper in the center at f2.8 but at f4,5.6,8 the both lenses are identical. At f11 DA show some drop in sharpness, at f16 diffraction starts to kick in for K85. In the corner resolution K85 has a slight advantage at f2.8 and at f11(maybe due to fact that sensor uses only sweetspot of the lens), at all other stops they seem to perform identical.
In a real life, K85 shows octagonal highlights in bokeh when stopped down. When I find a time I will do some testing outside at infinity. So far it is difficult to decide for me which lens is more valuable, DA70 is smaller, beatifully crafted and much more convenient to use while K85 is matchin g its optical performance, has a superior bokeh and provides better separation of subjects from background thanks to longer focal lenght.

Last edited by vrrattko; 01-08-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: update