Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I recently traveled and said like on all the other occasions, that I wanted to keep it light but still cover all eventualities............................................

I then go back to my usual method and say "to hell and take it all" and then some, in a big Crumpler and Pelican 1510.

This time I actually did it, only took a couple of bodies, SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 and SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8 in a small ish "non camera" shoulder bag.

To my knowledge I didn't miss anything, everything got covered and I found a new joy in that I was forced to think more about the photography, when working with a limited amount of kit.

Recommend it's worth a try, perhaps not a critical once in a lifetime situation where the restraints may prove to be unworkable, but on a more casual outing or trip.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-08-2012 at 03:38 AM.
01-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've learned to pack really light if I have to. First question, does this trip have an underwater opportunity? If so, my Olympus P&S with OEM UW case. I'll sacrifice my Pentax SLR if I have to. My monopod and a length of double sided Velcro strap. It's my walking stick, my camera stabalizer, and I can often strap it to a pole or something when necessary. A little more room? My new K-r with the kit 18-55 lens. The cheap SLR plastic 'rain coat'. If no other case, a SLR only bag. Still got room or under weight limit? Pentax KA 70-210 zoom. More? Sigma P-TTL wireless flash. Is this a car trip where weight/room isn't counted in grams? Grab my trusty 25 year-old Tarmac shoulder bag with integrated fanny pack belt and bring almost everything - including one of my tripods (in addition to the monopod).
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Some of us travel in different styles. I don't fly or take most other forms of mass transit. My car has plenty of room for photo gear (darkroom excepted). I'll soon leave on another long jaunt, 3-4 months or until the limited budget croaks. Sure, we're just relocating temporarily to our winter home on the border, a historic adobe in quaint and gloriously photogenic Bisbee AZ (which we're trying to sell, hint hint), but we may drive across Mexico again too. So I'm working on a list of maybe 30 lenses to haul along, maybe no more than 8 Fifties, much German and Russian glass, and all the usual favorites. Hmmm, that might push me to 35 lenses...