Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My "NEW" $40 lens

Found this 28mm f3.5 lens the other day. Didn't have time to go very far so this is a quick shot of a RR bridge near me. f8 ISO 100 1/400 sec

Last edited by regken; 01-01-2007 at 08:30 AM.
12-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sharp with great colour rendition.

A good find. Congrads
12-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Found this 28mm f3.5 lens the other day. Didn't have time to go very far so this is a quick shot of a RR bridge near me. f8 ISO 100 1/400 sec
Lovely photo!

If I may ask, where did you pick up the lens? I am done buying new equipment now for a while, but I would not mind finding some of these deals. Someone else here posted some photos the other day that he said were taken with a lens he got for $5. I don't have any idea where to go looking for these bargains. I also don't know what I'd need to be looking for if I did find a bargain. Is it enough if the lens is Pentax compatible? There seem to be a ton of different letters associated with different lenses, M and K and others. I don't know whether I need to worry about those or not....

WP
12-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You need to do a little research at.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories
Stan's Pentax Photography

There are a couple of other links but don't have them handy. That will give you an idea of what is available and somewhat of a feeling for which lenses are better than others. If you go with M series you will need an adapter for about $30. This is a site just for the screw mounts.
M42 is a site dedicated to M42 adaptator lenses. You will find here tests, from argentic to numeric cameras and oldest to newest M42 lenses. Members described their work and the used lens. Oldies, but goldies!

This lens I found in a camera store that didn't know a lot about Pentax lenses. The source I've used the most is
Cameras and used cameras available from KEH Camera Brokers.
Their prices are a little higher than ebay or pawn shops but their rating system is spot on, The ones they rate "BGN" might look a little rough but there is nothing wrong with the optics. B & H, and Adorama also sell used lenses at fair pricing and properly graded.

It's like going to a flea market. I've stuck just to Pentax lenses but a lot of people are happy with other brands. The idea of shooting with a $900 camera and using a 30 year old $40 lens that is as good or better than a $300 new lens is one of the things that drew me to Pentax.

Have fun! It's a kick looking for them.
Regards,

12-22-2006, 03:45 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
You need to do a little research at.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories
Stan's Pentax Photography

There are a couple of other links but don't have them handy. That will give you an idea of what is available and somewhat of a feeling for which lenses are better than others. If you go with M series you will need an adapter for about $30. This is a site just for the screw mounts.
You don't need an adaptor for a Pentax 'K' M' 'A', or any lens newer then the 'A' for any of the Pentax dslr's. You will need an adaptor or adaptall for M42 and 645 lenses and also some 3rd party lenses...

QuoteQuote:
It's like going to a flea market. I've stuck just to Pentax lenses but a lot of people are happy with other brands. The idea of shooting with a $900 camera and using a 30 year old $40 lens that is as good or better than a $300 new lens is one of the things that drew me to Pentax.

Have fun! It's a kick looking for them.
Regards,
To be able to use a $40/30 year old lens on a $900 camera is a great concept.
Long live Pentax glass...
12-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With k100d/k10d what lens types -- Pentax 'K' ,' M' or 'A' support Tv and Av?

I can live without auto focus, but not the auto aperture and shutter.

I was considering the SMC PENTAX-M 28mm 1:2.8 or similar for the k100d. I assume this will meet my needs.

Thanks!
12-23-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax-A lenses support every fuction, minus autofocus.

K and M needs the pushing of the green button to get the correct exposure.

M42 screwmounts work in stop-down.