Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Given the speed of the lens look for one optimized for fast lenses like the Canon EE
I have a Nikon split prism and I struggle with my 1.4 lenses to nail the focus (live view is more reliable for me at 1.4)
Exactly right. A split will only help you so much. You need a Canon s-type screen or equivalent to nail focus at really wide apertures. I've had both kinds.

12-05-2011, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Lowell mentioned, the Vivitar is cosmetically different - the focus ring design differs from the others also.

NOW, ON THE WHY I PURCHASE THE VIVITAR ONES: I am on my 2nd of the Vivitar ones, the first one would get stuck wide open so I sent it back to Sakar (who owns the Vivitar brand). When talking to them on the phone they told me the warranty repair would take a bit and I would see the lens back in 4~6 weeks - they sent me a brand new one and I received it in exactly 10 days after I sent the broken one out. For me, the extra cost in the Vivitar's IS A NO BRAINER due to the brand name and the great warranty service.

As for the price drop of the Vivitar, it is across the board. They recently did this to all of the high end SLR lenses, the 13mm dropped from $429 to $390'ish, the 35mm (which just came available under Vivitar branding) is also selling for less than the Rokinon version...
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
As Lowell mentioned, the Vivitar is cosmetically different - the focus ring design differs from the others also.

NOW, ON THE WHY I PURCHASE THE VIVITAR ONES: I am on my 2nd of the Vivitar ones, the first one would get stuck wide open so I sent it back to Sakar (who owns the Vivitar brand). When talking to them on the phone they told me the warranty repair would take a bit and I would see the lens back in 4~6 weeks - they sent me a brand new one and I received it in exactly 10 days after I sent the broken one out. For me, the extra cost in the Vivitar's IS A NO BRAINER due to the brand name and the great warranty service.

As for the price drop of the Vivitar, it is across the board. They recently did this to all of the high end SLR lenses, the 13mm dropped from $429 to $390'ish, the 35mm (which just came available under Vivitar branding) is also selling for less than the Rokinon version...
That's a great point.

It looks like I will go with the Vivitar one. It definitly has the 'A' on the aperture and the safety of a brand name like you mentioned. I'm not too sure about the service from Bower and the like.
12-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
That's a great point.

It looks like I will go with the Vivitar one. It definitly has the 'A' on the aperture and the safety of a brand name like you mentioned. I'm not too sure about the service from Bower and the like.
Well service should be the same I thought the same people distributed all 3

i've been wrong before though

12-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When I looked at getting one about 3 years ago, there were both K and KA mount varieties on the market. Bought what I sweat the time at B&H. The Vivitar version. It is made by samyang but cosmetically different outside to the rest, which a all identical except for the name printed on the gold name tag.

Note that you can get super tak 85 mm lenses for less, and also the M85/2 but probably not the K85/1.8.
i don't think the super takumar 85mm is cheaper.
I found most of them are more expensive that's why I bought a Rokinon version.
12-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Well service should be the same I thought the same people distributed all 3
No, the manufacturer is the same for all of them, the distributor/label is different - the label is the one who puts their warranty on the product/lens, so although all of the lenses are really the same, warranties can vary quite a bit...
12-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Is the current brand-name of Vivitar really a good thing? Since the old Vivitar company is defunct as of 2008ish and Sakar picked up the name I haven't heard much good about them -- like when they brought back the popular workhorse Vivitar 285HV flash but then everyone found out the QC had gone to pot and they started breaking right and left. It really comes down the the manufacturer for each individual product, but if Vivitar has a good support policy that's good to know anyway.

12-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Is the current brand-name of Vivitar really a good thing? Since the old Vivitar company is defunct as of 2008ish and Sakar picked up the name I haven't heard much good about them -- like when they brought back the popular workhorse Vivitar 285HV flash but then everyone found out the QC had gone to pot and they started breaking right and left. It really comes down the the manufacturer for each individual product, but if Vivitar has a good support policy that's good to know anyway.
That's what i was thinking. I equate the Vivitar name with pretty cheap stuff.
12-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
That's what i was thinking. I equate the Vivitar name with pretty cheap stuff.
Once upon a time they were known for quality third-party stuff, less so by the 90's. But they were still the same company all that time until 2008 and completely shut down. Sakar just bought the brand name -- it has basically no relation to the old Vivitar. They are now reviving some of the other Vivitar names -- "Series 1". But any individual product may be good or may be bad depending on actual manufacturer and QC for it...
12-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Once upon a time they were known for quality third-party stuff, less so by the 90's. But they were still the same company all that time until 2008 and completely shut down. Sakar just bought the brand name -- it has basically no relation to the old Vivitar. They are now reviving some of the other Vivitar names -- "Series 1". But any individual product may be good or may be bad depending on actual manufacturer and QC for it...
good to know, I will stop my hope on new released Vivitar lens now
12-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #26
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Look VERY Carefully at them. Some have an A setting, and some.......well......
...and some are pictures of Canon mount versions. Look very carefully at them and you'll find that the images are reused from the Canon listings.

They all have the A setting.
12-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
i don't think the super takumar 85mm is cheaper.
I found most of them are more expensive that's why I bought a Rokinon version.
this is a really hard call. I could not find any 85's below the price of the vivitar at B&H ($329) when I bought it, and then, about 2 months after, a camera repair shop that I frequented had one hidden behind a bunch of other stuff (the owner knew me and what I was looking for) and I got the Super Tak 85/1.9 for $200. Now I will admit, I knew at the time this was below market price, and this was several years ago now, but I still think they can be had less than the price of the vivitar or other samyang varients, if you look for them. But if you want it RIGHT NOW to win an auction and be gauranteed of getting the lens, I agree, you will probably pay more.
12-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the Vivitar one...my reasoning:
A) The Vivitar brand name
B) I didn't like the gold badge on the front of the others
C) the Vivitar's red ring on the front reminded me of "L" glass from my Canon days
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yes..they all have "A" setting for pentax mount
but for canon ( and nikon?) they all do not have "A"...
pretty cool for pentax....
12-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
..... the Vivitar's red ring on the front reminded me of "L" glass from my Canon days
there are people here who commented specifically that would be a reason not to buy vivitar

I didn't listen, I like the colors and cosmetics of the vivitar better