Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
yeh the pentax 28-70 2.8 is a little dear for me, got house, three kids & mother in law residing, and a shyte job so it kinda cuts that out almost- i've just thrown 1k at the 50-135( still on way).
attached is the poorly shot filter hood system on the tokina mounted on me ol z1(yep its a 75th aniversary edition should of kept it mint)
so yeh the lens has got to be built.
Ive sent this quote to some mob up in qld that do repairs to get a second opinion.
"I need a no bs assessment here, I have a tokina 28-70 pro sv f2.8 that was wicked sharp at all lengths and f's, now with nothing being done to the lens ie. not dropped bumped or mistreated in any way the lens went all soft and had little contrast. I sent it off to camera clinic and they said it was lube that had spread all over the elements and blades inside, they fixed it. I got it back and it was fine at f4-5.6 but at 2.8 it was of very low contrast and was all blury, the aperture blades were also sticking but not as bad as before, took it straight off the camera and sent it back. they said they adjusted the focus before to get it sharper but could not get enough adjustment to make much difference, they'd have a go at re clean and may be put the original adjustment back in(couldn't figure it out and were trying to get another one to have a look at to compare to no avail-sticky blades fixed and focus ok but not brilliant, better at f4 now but f2.8 is still a little off) when i got it back the exposure was still being affected by sticking blades and it still is off its former pin sharp poke you in the eye, cut your eyeballs out sharpness to f4 and 2.8 sucked ass-still no contrast and blurry, highlights all blown out and soft. so my delema is should i persist with this lens at a different repairer or throw away and get something else. thanks heaps in advance, "

here also is a pic at f4 from the tokina 1/15s with some fill 200% crop

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-21-2007, 11:40 PM   #17

What is this scifi thingy in your lens? and what for it is? I have never before seen such a beast in SLR... some compend hoods yes, but this kind of, no....
12-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Its the pro4 filter system- kind of a lens hood with four filter held within, you push in one of those flaps you see and click the filter in place, you can see two of them in the pic, one is a warm soft vignette<-spell check! the other is a warm soft focus. there is also a gentle neutral soft focus and a fade to black vignette.
to release the filter I just give the opposite flap a quick flick to the middle and its out of the way ready for another one or to be left as a plain ol hood.
all this adds to less process time on the pc, 'special effects in camera, what a novel idea'