Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
foggy lenses

hey, I was reading lately about fog proof binoculars, And foggy lenses are one thing that drives me nuts. Taking your camera out of a cold place, going indoors and then having everything fog up. does anyone know of any lenses or new lenses being developed that incorporate a fog proof lens? probably in primes because that would be similar technology to the binoculars that they are making?

12-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most practical way to prevent this is to leave your equipment in the carrying case/bag/whatever insulated thing you can until the temperatures have slowly equalized - this works for going from hot to cold and visa versa. As far as actual glass treatments, I dunno. Seems excessive and an unnecessary price adder. My 2 cents.

Also - this is only my opinion (the last part). Opinions are just that, so if you strongly disagree, just ignore it
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe fog proof binoculars are sealed--and contain dry air or nitrogen--or are essentially sealed.

A non-zoom lens that does not change in physical length, or only a litlle, would retain the internal atmosphere for long time, and thus careful handling (don't use indoors in a warm setting a lot, and then go out to a cold place.

Zooms generally move glass elements quite a bit and thus push air in and out, and thus are more problematic. Short of building an air bladder, the answer seems to be even more careful handling--as described above.
12-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I believe fog proof binoculars are sealed--and contain dry air or nitrogen--or are essentially sealed.

A non-zoom lens that does not change in physical length, or only a litlle, would retain the internal atmosphere for long time, and thus careful handling (don't use indoors in a warm setting a lot, and then go out to a cold place.

Zooms generally move glass elements quite a bit and thus push air in and out, and thus are more problematic. Short of building an air bladder, the answer seems to be even more careful handling--as described above.
I think you are talking about different 'fogging'. Internal lens fogging might be caused by internal air moisture, but external fogging is caused by condensation of tiny (micro level?) droplets due to temperature differences.

I think the Leica fog proof binoculars might have used some permant anti-fog coating on the outside of the lens element. Don't know this technology has already been commercialized ...