Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The seller has since replied (through the resolution process, so eBay is already involved, so I'm safe) and said there was no insurance on the lens and that they were happy to refund in full if I send it back or offer a partial refund if I wanted to get it fixed. That was before I discovered the bearing issue, and I told them I'd take the $40 refund (paid $70 shipped for the lens). It definitely wasn't a steal. The seller still hasn't sent the refund, and I heard back from Eric and he told me he doesn't want to attempt to repair it because of the bearings, so in my mind, that makes the lens unfixable. I sent another plea to the seller asking for the full refund, given this new information. We'll see what happens. I'm glad I picked up the Tokina now. :0)

12-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have your lens but I do have the 28/2.5 Kiron (sn 22xxxx) -- IF the 2.0 is constructed similar to the 2.8 it may not be as difficult to fix as you think.

If the ball bearing(s) are the click detente beads in the aperture ring it would be fairly easy and self evident as to how and where to replace them. There's illustrated articles in the various forums.

If you can clearly see the aperture blades looking into the rear element, and the rear element is a cylinder that screws into the lens barrel, unsticking aperture blades may be easy and low risk.

Index the inner and outer sleeves of the rear optical group and the lens barrel with a lead pencil mark. Use a spanner wrench to unscrew the LARGER diameter sleeve leaving the inner element in place inside the larger element. You now have access to the aperture blades. A sturdy pair of draftsman's dividers may suffice as a spanner wrench.

Place two or three small drops of lighter fluid (naptha) on the blades and let stand for 5 minutes, then exercise the aperture ring. Do NOT use so much fluid that it might drip onto the front element glass!

If it was only gummy blades, a few exercises like this will probably free everything up and leave no residue. VERY light marks with a soft lead pencil on the blades can provide graphite lubrication.

Return the rear optical element to the original indexed mark.

Even if you don't restore the ball bearing(s) you MAY have a useable lens. Removing a rear element group is low risk so long as you can return it to the original position.

H2