Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

If the aperture blades don't move with the ring or the lever...

Hello All,

I recently received an older lens from eBay, and the aperture blades don't move when I turn the ring (it is currently wide open), nor do they move when I slide the lever on the back of the lens. Just to make sure I'm not being a complete idiot here, I am looking for some confirmation that this lens is, in fact, malfunctioning before I follow through with getting the refund. It's a Vivitar 28mm f/2.0, Kiron made. I thought maybe oil on the blades gummed it up (as I've read this being a problem on their version of the 28/2). Even sliding the lever, the blades could still be stuck wide open due to the oil build up, correct? Repair will cost more than the lens itself, so I think it's gonna have to go back.

Thanks!

12-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the aperture ring on 22 it should stop down, unless you move the lever. It sounds broken to me. Who have you checked Vis-a-vis repair costs? Eric Hendrickson fixes pentax MF lenses with Takumar or Pentax branding, and he may be able to help you with yours, just possibly.
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
I checked with my local repair guy who's been in business for 30 years. His repair fee seems to be a flat $75 unless the problem is worse than anticipated. Eric CLA'd my K1000 for about the same cost, I should see what he charges for lenses. Thanks for the tip and confirmation that I'm not crazy. :0)
12-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
I checked with my local repair guy who's been in business for 30 years. His repair fee seems to be a flat $75 unless the problem is worse than anticipated. Eric CLA'd my K1000 for about the same cost, I should see what he charges for lenses. Thanks for the tip and confirmation that I'm not crazy. :0)
My experience with Eric is that its somewhat less unless there are major parts issues (but recall that there are shipping costs to him as well unlike your local fellow). Good luck.

12-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
This seller is claiming that the lens worked when they sent it, and that it is must have been damaged during shipping. is that possible? the box had no damage whatsoever. The seller wants to make me wait until they get their money from the insurance before refunding me, I'm not too thrilled about this request. I can't help but suspect that they know it's worthless and they don't want to take the loss, so they are blaming it on the shipping and making me wait... I guess that's OK as long as I'm guaranteed my refund eventually, but something tells me it wasn't the shipping...
12-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kiron lenses are notoriously known for sticky aperture blades. They often leak oil that makes the blades sticky. I think the risk increase a lot if they are ever stored very warm. Anyway, it is a great leans optically, and cleaning the blades from oil are usually not that difficult if you are a bit handy. Might be worth offering the seller a compromise price that takes into account your costs/work for fixing it, regardless if you send it for service or do it yourself?
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
Re: doing it myself, I am intrigued by this idea. I am a fairly handy person, and the seller is willing to send me back $40, so I think it's fair and I'm willing to give it a shot. Any tutorials or advice anybody can offer or point me to?
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It is possible that the problem happened in shipping, because of the wide temerature swings a package might have. I sent a Takumar Bayonet lens to my brother and had that happen in transit. With our recent weather, your lens could easily see a 70 degree F swing between mailbox and house, maybe more in transit.

There are a few different versions of this lens. I recently saw a revived old thread with some repair advice and photos of different versions, but can't find it now.

12-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Re: doing it myself, I am intrigued by this idea. I am a fairly handy person, and the seller is willing to send me back $40, so I think it's fair and I'm willing to give it a shot. Any tutorials or advice anybody can offer or point me to?
Eric currently has an old Pentax K lens of mine,
whose blades started dragging.

He's charging $40 for "Clean and focus."

Unless you're sure what the "focus" entails,
you might consider letting him handle it,
depending on what the lens is worth to you,
or how much fun it would be to take the lens apart yourself.
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Dave - I think I found the thread you were looking for: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/78114-vivitar-...re-blades.html

Thanks to all for the advice. I will see how I do getting the lens apart. If I can get to the blades without too much trouble, I think I can manage cleaning them myself. If I get halfway in and realize it's too much, I'll put it back together and ship it to Eric. :0)
12-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
Turns out I probably shouldn't take it apart, and now I'm worried that I probably just wasted some cash. I noticed there are tiny ball bearings inside the back of the lens where the aperture lever is, and they are loose and shaking around inside. I read that one of the versions has bearings, I guess this is it. I hope Eric can fix it, but now I'm wondering if it's even worth trying. I can always just shoot with it wide open!
12-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Turns out I probably shouldn't take it apart, and now I'm worried that I probably just wasted some cash. I noticed there are tiny ball bearings inside the back of the lens where the aperture lever is, and they are loose and shaking around inside. I read that one of the versions has bearings, I guess this is it. I hope Eric can fix it, but now I'm wondering if it's even worth trying. I can always just shoot with it wide open!
Email him first. Eric has a policy that if you send it in for an estimate, you don't owe him anything till he actually starts work.
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you, I have been communicating with him and I just sent him more info about what I've discovered to see if it sounds like something he can fix. If not, oh well. I'm only out about $30 if I get this refund (which I'm still waiting on...).

I decided to pick up another wide angle lens in the mean time, Vivitar 24/2.8, Tokina made. I felt like it was a decent price for a 24 at around $50 shipped. :0)
12-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #14

I'd be a little more worried about the issues with the seller. If he sold you a busted lens and is making you wait it is likely so you lose your window of opportunity to complain to eBay directly about it. Not saying it is, but you should be cautious just in case that is whats happening.
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter

If you bought it from ebay, and it wasn't a steal, just use the ebay report a problem and return system. You will get your money back. Ebay will take care of the other details.