Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
anymore guesses? I'll reveal the answer in about 3 hours.
Pah ! That was nearly 2 hours ago and I have to go to bed now (nearly 04.00), what a let down. I'll have nightmares about this now.

12-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Pah ! That was nearly 2 hours ago and I have to go to bed now (nearly 04.00), what a let down. I'll have nightmares about this now.
goodluck with the nightmares.

anyway, good job. both you and AXL got it.

I'll do more trivia tomorrow.
12-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian
MegaPower's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 561
For SURE:
2A >Leica (swirl effect)
2B >A/M50 (hexagon OFF bokeh)

My guess:
Pentax 50/1.7: ABA
Leica 50/2: BAB

or it could be easier
Pentax:BBB
Leica:AAA
12-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian
MegaPower's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 561
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
goodluck with the nightmares.

anyway, good job. both you and AXL got it.

I'll do more trivia tomorrow.
are A and B two lenses or they are in random orders?

12-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
Leica:

I'm sure it's used in 2A, as it has a giveaway, but for the others it's harder to guess: 1A and maybe 3A? I find the third the hardest to guess.

So I'm going to say the Leica was always used in the first shots.

Regardless of whether I guessed or not, it is pretty obvious that the differences are very subtle.
12-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
anyway, good job. both you and AXL got it.
Didn't see this. But they can't both be right because they made opposite guesses axl guessed BAB for Leica and Frogfish agreed with the ABA guess proposed by Douglas.

In second one, the giveaway for the Leica is the shape of the specular highlights in the corner - they are rounder for the Pentax because it is stopped down a bit.

The bokeh in 3A is less nervous than the one in 3B. Nice result for the Pentax.
12-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Leica:

I'm sure it's used in 2A, as it has a giveaway, but for the others it's harder to guess: 1A and maybe 3A? I find the third the hardest to guess.

So I'm going to say the Leica was always used in the first shots.

Regardless of whether I guessed or not, it is pretty obvious that the differences are very subtle.

well, I guess the 50/1.7 made it difficult to determine which lens is which by some degree.
12-06-2011, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Perhaps the moral of the comparison is you don't need to fork out so much money to get a Leica when you can get decent results with a cheap Pentax.

12-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Perhaps the moral of the comparison is you don't need to fork out so much money to get a Leica when you can get decent results with a cheap Pentax.
decent is an understatement. the 50/1.7 surely deserved it's sharpness reputation.
12-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 232
Pentax seems to have higher contrast comparing to Leica. Though i can't really tell in photo 2.

I don't think it is a true comparison of sharpness here(may be valid for the size of these pictures). If you blow up both pictures and pixel peep, you can see the micro-sharpness in Leica...
Also, we have not seen the sharpness at the edges of the prints...Leica vs Pentax...
But.... for the cost of the Pentax, it is undeniably the best value for your money!
12-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
goodluck with the nightmares.

anyway, good job. both you and AXL got it.

I'll do more trivia tomorrow.
Eeh...AXL and frogfish gave oposite answers, so you left us somewhat confused here. What is the correct answer?
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Eeh...AXL and frogfish gave oposite answers, so you left us somewhat confused here. What is the correct answer?
I expect it's axl, because of the 2A and the reasons I outlined earlier. But it would indeed be nice to get an official confirmation
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I expect it's axl, because of the 2A and the reasons I outlined earlier. But it would indeed be nice to get an official confirmation
sorry, I got confused with the answers what Frogfish was referring at. so it's AXL's answers which got it.

more exercises to come.
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sorry, I got confused with the answers what Frogfish was referring at. so it's AXL's answers which got it.

more exercises to come.
Well at least being 100% wrong means I was right too *sits down confused*.

You didn't mention which version of the Pentax f1.7 this was ?
12-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You didn't mention which version of the Pentax f1.7 this was ?
does it matter? it is the same as other versions of f1.7 (sharp wide open and sharper than the f1.4 at fast apertures).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f2, k-mount, lens, lenses, mystery, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-x Versus Q Versus Lumix TS3 knightzerox Pentax Q 9 10-09-2011 10:06 PM
Super-Tak 50mm/1.4 versus Leica Summilux 50mm DanielT74 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 47 01-19-2011 11:10 PM
Guess how much a spare batter for the Leica X1 costs? johnmflores Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 03-13-2010 08:11 PM
Leica S2 versus Canon 1Ds Mark III Samsungian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 10 02-24-2010 01:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top