Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Goodbye old friend...hello new ones

After alot of thinking and pondering I finally sold my lovely silver FA31...

It is an astonishing lens optically but I kept finding the FL to be a bit awkward on APS-C, not wide enough for landscape and not close enough for a personal portrait, I struggled to fit it into my kit.
It is also too heavy/bulky for tag along lens unlike the FA77 (my favourite LTD, this is probably the lens that I will never let go).
At the end of the day it was too expensive for me to keep especially with with the money I raised from it I can probably match 80% of fa31's performance with tammy 28-75 and still have the fund for da*50-135
All that aside it sure hurt to have to let go a piece of pentax history....if pentax ever release a FF no doubt I will pick it up again...this lens really begs a FF body

Here's the last shot I took before letting go the FA31

12-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup I agree, on a FF it would work wonders. It is a full-frame lens, after all...

I sampled the nikon 30mm F1.4 and was quite impressed by it and liked the FOV.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
It really is a shame....I think I saw someone with 5d mk2 and modded 31 somewhere on the web before. I wonder if it can be easily modded to nikon body, would be cheaper then buying zeiss 35 lens
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ouch, well at least the 50-135 is a good lens. Nice shot by the way

I bought a film body especially for my FA31, no surprise I'm loving the FOV on it, but what also surprised me was how much more useful my FA77 is on film. I know it's obvious, but the FA limiteds make a thousand times more sense on FF than they do on APS-C.

12-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, was shot the night before I sold the lens, the sunset color was awesome. Great parting gift from old friend
Now with my kit overhaul I'm seriously thinking about replacing 12-24 with 15 as tag along lens with 28-75...ahhhh the LBA never ends