Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not yet impressed with these pictures. Maybe I was hoping for birds in flight or so.

01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm not yet impressed with these pictures. Maybe I was hoping for birds in flight or so.
agreed, the subject matter is not remarkable. I had a brief weather window
and loaded 50 lbs and 3 armloads of stuff in my car and drove to the nearest place that I could find a place with enough distance to take a 'long shot'.

only slightly more interesting than a test pattern.

the problem with comparing lenses on an animal shot is that you need
the animal to hold that pose for an hour or so as you take the series of photos.

I took a sequence of about 50 photos with 4 lenses, and with and without
various converters. In the hour or sothat I messed around with this it was
bad enough that the lighting changed some.

you just can't evalulate how lenses compare with a moving target...

I prefer to make my judgments over multiple shoots over time under multiple
conditions, but that is not to be on this project.

It's one thing to lug 1 trunk and a heavy tripod to a place to take photos, but two or three at the same time is over the top.

If anything, however what the project did was cool my jets on wanting
the FA* 600 f4.....

The reasoning goes likethis... I just spent $3600 to get a FA*300 f/2.8 to
upgrade from the manual focus A* 300 f/2.8. but what did I get.... maybe just bragging rights with the dark side being that the Older MF model isn't much in demand, and the AF is of limited use because there is no pentax converter
that uses it. If you want AF, the AF adapter works as well on the A* series
as the FA*, and the high speed is not somuch because you are really going to ake wide open photos but rather because it provides a preferred starting point
to hang on an teleconverter which will burn some f stops.

I like theidea of accurate XDIF on my photos, but since you don't get that anyway
when an outdated converter is installed, one has to take a deep breath and wonder why he wants to bother to put out serious dollars for an FA* when he already has an A*.

If pentax were to produce a converter that passed through AF, and did something intelligent with the XDIF information my attitude might be different....
01-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wanted to say that I've been following your thread here, and appreciate your efforts with comparing these lenses and sharing them here.

The only experience I have so far with a comparable lens is the Tamron SP 300 2.8 (60B). I reluctantly sold that lens a month or so ago, and now miss it enough to explore buying another one or a similar replacement.

In the meantime I purchased an FA* 300 f4.5 that had an issue, but it has been with Eric for over a month now and am getting the feeling that it might not be repairable.

Your A* 300 for sale here has been killing me! If only I knew the outcome of my FA* 300 I could make a decision to purchase you lens or not.

I've found your test results very interesting to say the least and they are helping steer me in the right direction for my next long lens purchase. Besides the comparison of the 300 2.8 lenses, I found your results with the DA 60-250 quite interesting also as you note.

Now I can crawl back into my dark hold while I await the news on my lens repair..........
01-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Just wanted to say that I've been following your thread here, and appreciate your efforts with comparing these lenses and sharing them here.

The only experience I have so far with a comparable lens is the Tamron SP 300 2.8 (60B). I reluctantly sold that lens a month or so ago, and now miss it enough to explore buying another one or a similar replacement.

In the meantime I purchased an FA* 300 f4.5 that had an issue, but it has been with Eric for over a month now and am getting the feeling that it might not be repairable.

Your A* 300 for sale here has been killing me! If only I knew the outcome of my FA* 300 I could make a decision to purchase you lens or not.

I've found your test results very interesting to say the least and they are helping steer me in the right direction for my next long lens purchase. Besides the comparison of the 300 2.8 lenses, I found your results with the DA 60-250 quite interesting also as you note.

Now I can crawl back into my dark hold while I await the news on my lens repair..........
I was very plesantly surprised at the 60-250 performance. My idea of an IQ test for a lens is to slam a converter on it. They burn some lens speed and magnify the optical imperfections, and if the picture is stll usable, you got a good piece of glass. Ifyou can stack them and still show the result in public you have an extraordinary piece of glass.

01-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Ahem, well... I'm exploring the sale of my (very close to mint) 360B w/ TCs, if you're still exploring.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I was very plesantly surprised at the 60-250 performance. My idea of an IQ test for a lens is to slam a converter on it. They burn some lens speed and magnify the optical imperfections, and if the picture is stll usable, you got a good piece of glass. Ifyou can stack them and still show the result in public you have an extraordinary piece of glass.
This is probably true of Pentax * lenses, but I found that the "coveted" Pentax 1.7x AFA actually *added* optical imperfections to the Tamron 300/2.8 360B, while the "lowly" 01F 2x TC minimized what was there, with just a minor loss in sharpness (meanwhile doubling the focal length). Stacking them was the only way to use the AFA (at 1020mm)!