Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rebates and Normals and Zeiss', Oh My

Okay, so my local camera shop in Cayman has a 31/1.8 for $720 usd, no tax, no shipping. I'm trying to find out if I can still use the rebate, being outside the US.

Problem is I'm really leaning toward the Zeiss T* 35/2, because of the m42 mount, and compatibility for whatever body I end up with in the future. I'm also not very interested in AF at the moment, so that's not entering into my consideration.

If I can get a rebate, that brings the 31 limited to $620, and not a penny more. Hard to pass up.

Oh what to do.

12-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the rebate form:

PLEASE NOTE THESE ADDITIONAL TERMS OF THE OFFER 1) This offer only good for the product(s)
indicated. Only the UPC product codes listed are eligible. Actual UPC must be included for rebate. 2) Offer
good only for USA, APO and FPO addresses.
3) This offer is not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.
4) Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law.....
12-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
From the rebate form:

PLEASE NOTE THESE ADDITIONAL TERMS OF THE OFFER 1) This offer only good for the product(s)
indicated. Only the UPC product codes listed are eligible. Actual UPC must be included for rebate. 2) Offer
good only for USA, APO and FPO addresses.
3) This offer is not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.
4) Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law.....
Thanks for the heads up, but was asking as I recently saw this post by Ray Pulley here:

QuoteQuote:
If you want [a 16-50] you can contact Andy or Colleen McGaw at Caymancamera@Caymancamera.net and they will ship it to you for $705 plus shipping and insurance. The products come out of Pentax Colorado and I have had no problem with rebates or even a repair (K10D) on Pentax items purchased from them.
Cheers,
D
12-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, your mission to not buy brand-specific lenses is only impacted a little by buying the 31. I'm assuming that you are sticking with M42 lenses. This means that Nikon and longer mounts are out - since they won't accept your M42 lenses for full infinity focus. On the other end you have Canon EOS and Oly/Panasonic 4/3rd - both mounts will accept both Pentax K and M42 lenses. (Yeah, for EOS you may have to file down a little of the Pentax K mount, but so what?)

While I don't think they make Sigma SA mount converters for Pentax K lenses, I'm pretty sure the Sigma mount it similar to the Canon EOS mount, meaning that you can fashion one if really pushed into doing so.

So that leaves Minolta/Sony A mount. I hate Sony.

So if you really wanted a mount-independent lens system, you would be carrying around a bag full of medium format lenses. Those can be adapted to any 135 system camera.

In other words, I would get whichever lens you wanted more.

--Sean

12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've never actually checked out a limited close up. Can I control the aperture / stop-down meter with the aperture ring?