Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Icy is it possible the seller had readjusted infinity focus for his canon. Canon has a shorter regestry distance and the difference would be about what you describe. There is a thread somewhere about adjusting focus for Taks
I agree. I can the marks of the previous adjustment (so the lens was repaired for Canon.)

I've disassembled my Takumar lens, as you can see in Home / Tag Super Takumar 1:1.4 50mm + disassembled | Di?u's FineArt

It seems I have so many troubles now

12-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
icy

Original Poster
I can assemble the lens, turn the focus ring and thing is better now. The Takumar 1/1.4 50mm is simpler than a Super Takumar 24mm (as in Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Fixing the infinite focus on a Super Takumar 24mm ... ). The focus can be removed quickly and easily without removing the name ring, filter ring (That means I disassembled too much )

Now I have another problem with the apeture ring (it can't be used in Manual mode). That isn't a serious problem as the Auto mode can work perfectly. :P
12-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yeah, for an m42 lens that's a problem. For an A series lens, it wouldn't be much of one. There is no linkage to use the auto mode of an m42 lens on your DSLR. It uses a different method with the pin, whereas your DSLR uses the larger lever that slides back and forth, like you'll see on your kit lens. Unless you can fix it, you'll be stuck shooting wide open. You think the problem was caused by your surgery on the lens? You could try disassembling and reassembling the back end of it, but I'd google for some specific tutorials on fixing this issue first, if I were you.
12-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #19
icy

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Yeah, for an m42 lens that's a problem. For an A series lens, it wouldn't be much of one. There is no linkage to use the auto mode of an m42 lens on your DSLR. It uses a different method with the pin, whereas your DSLR uses the larger lever that slides back and forth, like you'll see on your kit lens. Unless you can fix it, you'll be stuck shooting wide open. You think the problem was caused by your surgery on the lens? You could try disassembling and reassembling the back end of it, but I'd google for some specific tutorials on fixing this issue first, if I were you.
Thank you for the suggestion. I think the problem comes from my camera and/or the M42 adapter. The camera can't control the aperture settings (for my both lens Helios 44m-4 and Super Takumar 1:1.4 50mm (M-mode)). I don't know why! When I remove the lens I can use the aperture ring to control their blades, but the camera can't do that when I press green button Weird. I will take a look! (It seems I don't know to use the M42 lens )

Last edited by icy; 12-11-2011 at 02:47 AM.
12-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
I think the problem comes from my camera and/or the M42 adapter. The camera can't control the aperture settings (for my both lens Helios 44m-4 and Super Takumar 1:1.4 50mm (M-mode)). I don't know why! When I remove the lens I can use the aperture ring to control their blades, but the camera can't do that when I press green button Weird. I will take a look! (It seems I don't know to use the M42 lens )
As philoslothical said, the M42 auto-aperture mechanism is totally unlike any PK mechanism, so the Green button will NEVER stop-down any M42 lens.

If an M42 has an M/A switch, set it to M and just set the aperture ring to a desired setting. If it has no switch but does have the stop-down pin, you can either 1) use it wide-open, 2) jam or glue the pin down, or 3) look for an adapter that holds the pin down. I've heard that this last exists but haven't seen one yet.

The Green button won't stop-down any M42 lens. But you can still use Manual mode and the Green button with ANY lens for manual exposure readings.
12-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #21
icy

Original Poster
Yeah, thank you very much Now I understand what philoslothical and you said. I fixed my Helios lens's pin and I can use both lenses with no problem. M42 lens is so fun