Handheld? Nice!
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Manual Exposure, 1/250 @ f/8, ISO 400
Manual Focus
Hand held !
Hello CR, the moon shot looks a bit soft, but it is not the lenses fault. Try using a tripod or a monopod to steady the camera and the lens.
Make sure you shut down SR when using a tripod. if you still want to hand hold the lens make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/400 to 1/500 of a second. At f8 and that speed you will need to boost your ISO.
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

nanhi, I'm sure he was testing under his conditions with a purpose. Wanting to see how favorable the shots would be under less than favorable conditions, so to speak.

12-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
nanhi, I'm sure he was testing under his conditions with a purpose. Wanting to see how favorable the shots would be under less than favorable conditions, so to speak.
Bang on! 1/250 with SR is almost good enough even for this extreme test. Note that what you see is 100% pixel peeping. 300 mm is no where near enough for moon shots.
12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #6

Fellow moonshot newbie here, K5 + 55-300. I'm a bit scared of postng in the main moonshot thread, what with all those telescope shots! Hope you don't mind me posting my tripod shot taken this evening? Can't compare it to handheld shots of course but I'd be interested to see if folks think you can do better with this lens, if so I'll have another go. I'm never 100% sure if the focus is spot on with this camera but the F10 should have helped.

There's only a quarter of a megapixel worth of moon if you crop it to fill the frame, less on the K10, no wonder these shots are hard to get much detail at 300mm.

K5+55-300, crop at 100%, 1/100 - F10 - ISO80 - 12s timer - levels adjusted + a bit of unsharp mask in PSP.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Dave L; 12-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
12-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Fellow moonshot newbie here, K5 + 55-300. I'm a bit scared of postng in the main moonshot thread, what with all those telescope shots! Hope you don't mind me posting my tripod shot taken this evening? Can't compare it to handheld shots of course but I'd be interested to see if folks think you can do better with this lens, if so I'll have another go. I'm never 100% sure if the focus is spot on with this camera but the F10 should have helped.

There's only a quarter of a megapixel worth of moon if you crop it to fill the frame, less on the K10, no wonder these shots are hard to get much detail at 300mm.

K5+55-300, crop at 100%, 1/100 - F10 - ISO80 - 12s timer - levels adjusted + a bit of unsharp mask in PSP.
I don't mind at all - nicely done. Much sharper than mine and shows the worth of a tripod. I do have a good one, but tried out the shake reduction instead.
12-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hello Dave & C_R, scores of years ago when I was young, I could hand hold shots at 1/4th of a sec. I have sharp shots of the moon with simple stuff like a 20 x 80 Russian binocs + a monocular I bought at Oldens in NY, for use on my Pentax K1000 film camera.
Dave your moon shot is pretty sharp - your Tripod setup helped. This is what I proposed to C_R knowing very well that 1/250 sec + SR is pretty hit and go with a long tele + a long lens overhang. As a retired engineer with stabilization systems, I know camera SRs may not be effective under some body movements involving the x-y-z axis. And don't believe the full 4-stops stabilization claimed by Pentax, at least on my K20D, no way.
Enjoy your moon shots folks and remember Dave to manual focus next time at the "infinity" mark and beyond this mark, if the lens has this facility. Try a few shots at a point before the infinity mark too.

12-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@OP - I don't think yours is lacking sharpness from motion or settings. It just looks like you missed the focus.

I've gotten good 300mm shots of the moon before, it's just really hard to focus, especially in live-view.
12-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
@OP - I don't think yours is lacking sharpness from motion or settings. It just looks like you missed the focus.

I've gotten good 300mm shots of the moon before, it's just really hard to focus, especially in live-view.
The focus point is quite a bit short of the infinity stop on the lens, but the blur is me. I was shaking like a leaf. Just a fun shot. I'll try again, but if I really wanted a moon shot I would use my 400 and 1.4x. I just got the 55-300 and am fooling around for a while getting the feel of it.
12-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #11

Yes the focus is definitely an issue here, I've tried normal/phase focus through the viewfinder and the KR+55-300 does better at a fine adjustment of -5 than zero, so some further tweaking including manual final adjustment as suggested (thanks!) might improve it.

I used live view on the tripod + contrast detection for that shot, which was painfully slow and at times wouldn't focus on the moon at all - but in the end (with the moon slightly off-centre) probably did better than my phase detection efforts. Also, phase detection although faster, was slightly inconsistent, with some shots a bit sharper than others under exactly the same conditions.

So I will check out the focus again, also some handheld shots with high ISO and shutter speed and a fast burst with photo-merge in post processing to kill the noise? I think ultimately C_R, there shouldn't be much difference between the K10D and K5 with this lens, which I suspect is the limiting factor.
12-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dave L, the extra pixels in the K5 should allow a bit more detail. The moon is not much more than a big white dot in the image. With 10 Mp to work with, I would need to use the 400 + 1.4 to get much resolution. The focus was manual in my shot, and it is entirely possible, or more accurately likely, that I missed, particularly hand held. The moon did not even fill the ( ) area in the viewfinder. This has been a fun thread.
12-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #13

You may well be right, C_R. I will test that with my K100D (6MP) the next time the moon appears! Cloudy here this evening so far though.