Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
T-mount adapter and lens compatibility

I'm a little confused after searching lenses online. If I have an extra T-Mount for my K-10d will it adapt to all lenses or only pentax compatible ? I'm seeing where other brand lenses (Older Nikon) will fit.

12-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sagecreeper Quote
I'm a little confused after searching lenses online. If I have an extra T-Mount for my K-10d will it adapt to all lenses or only pentax compatible ? I'm seeing where other brand lenses (Older Nikon) will fit.
Back in the day, the T mount was designed to be a universal mount. You could buy a T-mount compatible lens, and then get an adapter
suitable for your brand of camera and you were in business. the whole idea sort of went over the edge as lens automation became popular because the T-mount standard provided no electric or mechanical or electrical connections beyond physically attaching the lens to the camera body.
12-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Back in the day, the T mount was designed to be a universal mount. You could buy a T-mount compatible lens, and then get an adapter
suitable for your brand of camera and you were in business. the whole idea sort of went over the edge as lens automation became popular because the T-mount standard provided no electric or mechanical or electrical connections beyond physically attaching the lens to the camera body.
Ok, that makes sense. My question is this - is there a difference when it says T Mount or T Mount 2? The Tamron Mirror 55BB seems to say T-Mount 2. I have a T-Mount but can't find a US seller of T-Mount 2's.
12-10-2011, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Caution -- you appear to be confusing the "T-mount" system with the Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall-2 mounting system. All three are Tamron products, but the Adaptall mount is a bayonet type adapter while the T-mount is an older thread-based adapter.

Tamron lenses such as the Adaptall-2 SP 55BB you mention do not use the threaded T-mount adapters. Some other brand names like Vivitar and Spiratone are also associated with the universal (threaded) T-mount system.

Check Wikipedia using the various terms for specific descriptions and illustrations of the different systems.

the web site www.adaptall-2.org is a good reference for identifying various categories of Adaptall lenses.

H2

12-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Caution -- you appear to be confusing the "T-mount" system with the Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall-2 mounting system. All three are Tamron products, but the Adaptall mount is a bayonet type adapter while the T-mount is an older thread-based adapter.

Tamron lenses such as the Adaptall-2 SP 55BB you mention do not use the threaded T-mount adapters. Some other brand names like Vivitar and Spiratone are also associated with the universal (threaded) T-mount system.

Check Wikipedia using the various terms for specific descriptions and illustrations of the different systems.

the web site www.adaptall-2.org is a good reference for identifying various categories of Adaptall lenses.

H2

Thanks a bunch!! +1 to you.